Highlighted

Leaf Changing Season!

Fall leaf season is very slowly winding down here in Virginia.

At the 'top' of the state, around 5500', leaves have pretty much dropped.

The bright yellow and orange leaves were barely hanging on last week at about 4000'-4500'.

Here in coastal VA, leaves are still 'peaking'

I was able to get out for a much needed backpacking trip (really a glorified camping trip) last week, and the foliage on the AT at about 4500' was spectacular, but starting to fall.

I try to go every fall for the leave season and usually hike the same easy route.

A few years ago I was going to be clever and brought some eggs in one of those yellow coleman egg holders you find on the 'coleman wall' at some outdoor stores.

I hung my food in a tree, and found the next morning that my knot had slipped and the bag was on the ground :(, and as you can imagine, the eggs were totally smashed and all over the inside of my food bag!

Fortunately, there was a nice creek, so clean up was very easy.

This year, the eggs didn't get broken, and I had excellent sausage/egg biscuits (really English muffins) 3 morning in a row!

The cows in the video are brought in the fall and removed in late October as grazing is a control measure against the area getting overgrown.  Same with the pony's, but they live there all year.

https://youtu.be/ETpnKLfd2TM

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
A four (4) day, very short, backpacking loop around Grayson Highlands State Park, VA, into the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area, along parts of the Appalac...
Highlighted

Re: Leaf Changing Season!

@Philreedshikes I miss leaf changing season on the East Coast - we get a little out here in the Puget Sound, but it's just not quite the same...would love to see everyone's pictures of the leaves changing!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Leaf Changing Season!

correction, the cows are brought in the spring, not the fall.

graysons oct 2020 v2.jpgleaf 2a.jpgleaf 4.jpgleaf 4a.jpgleaf 5.jpgleaf 7.jpgleaf 8.jpgleaf 9.jpgleaf 10.jpgleaf 11.jpgleaf 12.jpgleaf 13.jpg

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Featured