Highlighted

Re: Items I wish REI WOULD sell.

Why body rappel?  Toss another log on thee campfire and the Old Geezer will tell you another tale from times gone by.....

Once upon a time (1950s or so), the body rappel was the only technique available.  We had only ropes, usually laid nylon, pitons, and carabiners to get us to the summit.  Body rappels worked if you applied suitable padding in the right places.  Folks even sewed  leathers patches on outerwear to avoid burns.

Long ago, when hiking and scrambling in rough country, especially if unknown territory or on a SAR operation, I adopted the habit of including a bit of rope.  This proved to be very useful on several occasions. Just call me Sam Gamgee (Lord of the Rings).  On occasion, I have found it useful to accomplish a short, moderate dulfersitz - definitely minimalist and light weight.

My longest rappel was a 580 foot free rappel and for that I definitely went with gear - the rappel rack worked splendidly on my first encounter with the apparatus.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Wow! That is indeed a LONG rappel! Kudos!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Actually, for vertical cavers, that is just a good beginning.  There is a classic drop in Mexico, Sotano de las Golandrinas. (cave of the Swallows) which is a free drop of 1000 feet and you must ascend the rope to get home!

0 Likes
Highlighted

"There is a classic drop in Mexico, Sotano de las Golandrinas. (cave of the Swallows) which is a free drop of 1000 feet and you must ascend the rope to get home!"

And off to YouTube I go, to live vicariously through those who are far braver than I!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
0 Likes
Highlighted

(back)

Well, that was... surreal.

Sewing pads for body rappels [for old timers] makes sense. However, while knowing about a body rappel is a nice thing to know in SHTF situations, TODAY it just means you're not prepared (and therefore not ready).

Meanwhile, and to get back on track, the Sqwurel is both a rappel AND belay device (so, not so "specialized"). But the advantage of the Sqwurel design, is that it has rappel rack functionality AND, unlike a rappel rack, you can add OR subtract friction ON THE FLY without stopping to rethread... not to mention it's a HECK of a lot smaller and lighter than a rack (or bobbin).

0 Likes
Highlighted

Casio Forester

It’s a great watch for about $20.00 

CA304E11-CC1D-4087-BAF4-1766F9D0C09F.jpeg

Highlighted

Spoiler
YellowandRed-web.jpg

SNOW CLAW (snow shovel)

Well, it's not so much a "shovel" as a scoop, but it gets the job done. I've had mine for a few years now, and during the snowy season, I'm glad I have it. It's light, compact, durable, in fact it ticks all the boxes, but it's NOT a "shovel."

It doesn't have a handle, so it doesn't have the reach of a shovel or the reach. But if you are not sure you'll need/want a shovel (especially considering the bulk), then the Snow Claw is a GREAT substitute!

REI may have this in some stores, but I've yet to see it in any of the stores near me, so I thought I'd include it in this list... II wonder if it comes in BLUE! 😉

0 Likes
Featured