Highlighted

If You Are Locked Down, Where's Your First Hike(s) When Able To Go?

VA was just 'locked down' by the Governor.

If we're 'released' early enough, I'll do some training hikes in the VA Blue Ridge George Washington NF, in prep for the North Boundary Trail, Jasper NP, Mid August...11 days, no resupply, ouch.

Have reservations for a 6 day backpack in the GC for early May, not looking good.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: If You Are Locked Down, Where's Your First Hike(s) When Able To Go?

So many we are looking forward to. I am in WA, near Rainier so there's the local peaks during the spring flower bloom of course. We have a Whitney pass for early June and I planned a whole week of hiking my old stomping grounds in Inyo Nat. Forest. Hoping that everything is back open by then!

For now, there is one trail here that is open (trailhead parking is closed) so my boyfriend drops me on one end and I thru-run it - it's only 8 miles, but better than nothing! I attempted a run around the neighborhood only to discover I hate it!

Highlighted

I'm in Washington state and there are just so many places to choose from! I'd probably hit up a beach trail on the Olympic Coast and make a weekend camping trip out of it. The nice thing about being at home is that there is plenty of time to plan for future trips!

0 Likes
Highlighted

update (9 Apr 20):  GC is basically closed.  Trails closed, hotels closed, campgrounds closed.  My backpacking trip was cancelled.

The park doesn't refund back-country permit fees buts gives a credit for future trips (If you get past the lottery aspect), this time for 2yrs.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sorry your GC trip crashed.  Early May is usually a good time for GC.  Where were you planning to go?

Better times await....

0 Likes
Highlighted

Corridor trails, Indian garden to bright angel to cottonwood, return the same way, making it 5 nights with detours to plateau point, ribbon falls and of course beer and a steak dinner at phantom, sigh....maybe this fall

0 Likes
Highlighted

A few of my friends and I have a permit for the 'north boundary trail' in Jasper National Park, mid August.   So we wait to see how things go.

This will be a really big challenge, about 100 miles, 11 days, no resupply.  Routes basically follows a series of river valleys, so not a lot of up and down, and that's nice.

But, man, talk about starting off with heavy packs, ugh.

Highlighted

So I was bored...

11 days at 2# a day is 22# so with a 20# base weight, 1# of fuel canisters and 2# of water (1L average carry assuming its constantly available) plus maybe a 1# bear spray...so a 46# starting . Not that bad if you have a pack that can carry it comfortably and you don't have a lot of elevation gain at the start which looks to be the case if you start at Celestine Lake or Berk Lake end if I'm reading things right.

https://www.mrmaps.ca/home/2019/3/16/best-multi-day-hikes-in-canada-the-north-boundary-trail-ab

@3 a day is based on 3200cal at 100cal/oz.  You may need less than that.  And you can do better with some thought.  1.5# a day @ ~150cal/oz  is fairly easy to achieve...so 16.5# => 40.5#... and you might be able to reduce your base weight a bit.

Seems the use of bear canisters is recommended but optional and probably not needed if you plan stay at the designated camps although for a group, sharing one between two and alternating carrying the empty canister might be a way to go to spread the risk and weight...depends on the critter situation.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@OldGuyot, yep, you're right on all accounts!

We're starting at Rock Lake and exiting at Berg Lake trailhead.

Agree with your food weight numbers, I expect I'll be right around 1.5lbs/day, no bear canister.  Several videos show a bear 'hang pole' at most of the designated camp sites.

My pack is the osprey exos 58 and really isn't up for weight over about 35 (where I hope to be, but probably closer to 40)

for what its' worth, here's our itinerary:

EVENTOVERNIGHT LOCDIST(MI)DPRTARRIVEDUR (HRS)
12-Aug-20FLY TO EDMONTON     
12-Aug-20PICK UP RENTAL CARS     
12-Aug-20DRIVE TO HOTELHOTEL EDMONTON    
13-Aug-20DRIVE TO ROCK LAKE TH, DROP OFF CAMPERSROCK LK CAMPGROUND389KM90013004H 26M
13-Aug-20DRIVE TO MT ROBSON TH DROP OFF RTN CARTBD227KM140017003H 3M
14-Aug-20DRIVE BACK TO ROCK LK 227KM80011003H 3M
14-Aug-20HIKE TO WILLOW CRWILLOW CR8.7120018005.8
15-Aug-20HIKE TO WELBOURNEWELBOURNE7.7100015005.1
16-Aug-20HIKE TO BLUE CRBLUE CR7.1100015004.7
17-Aug-20HIKE TO THREE SLIDESTHREE SLIDES990015006.0
18-Aug-20HIKE TO OATMEALOATMEAL7.7100015005.1
19-Aug-20HIKE TO BYNGBYNG7.3100015004.9
20-Aug-20HIKE TO TWINTREETWINTREE6.7100015004.5
21-Aug-20HIKE TO CHOWN CRCHOWN CR9.790015006.5
22-Aug-20HIKE TO ADOLPHUSADOLPHUS15.1700170010.1
23-Aug-20HIKE TO KINNEY LK MT ROBSON PARKKINNEY LAKE8.3100015005.5
24-Aug-20HIKE TO MT ROBSON TRAIL HEAD 7.780013005.1
   95total walking miles 
24-Aug-20DRIVE TO ROCK LAKE THROCK LK CAMPGROUND227KM140017003H 3M
25-Aug-20DRIVE TO EDMONTON 389KM100014304H 26M
25-Aug-20TURN IN CARS, SHUTTLE TO HOTELHOTEL EDMONTON    
26-Aug-20SHUTTLE TO AIRPORT FLY HOMEFLY HOME    
0 Likes
Highlighted

Not sure how 2# ended up a 3@ in my post above.  I meant  " 2 lb a day is based on 3200cal at 100cal/oz"  but REI in their infinite wisdom prevent editing after 30 mins which I personally hate!!!

You could get a different pack for that trip since otherwise you will be maxing out the exos 58 for half of it and you don't have the "thru hiker" motivation to keep using the same pack regardless of discomfort.   I think I would serious consider it although my current pack, a 2008 Baltoro 70, is comfortable with that weight so I personally wouldn't 😉    It would add ~$300 (eg Osprey Aether 70 or Gregory Baltoro 75 depending which one fits you better) to your budget for the trip but you have several months to amortize that over and then you would have a bag that is better for longer (week+) trips or taking your lead weight collection to the backcountry if you have any future plans to do so. 

0 Likes
Featured