Highlighted

Gear Advice: Women's Backpack for 4-5 day trips.

Looking for a backpack that I can use for 4 or 5 days on the Appalachian Trail for woman?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Hiking Backpack

Hi @Emcat23 thanks for posing this question to the community.  We have many experienced hikers that can give you some practical suggestions.  In the meantime, I wanted to share this article from our Expert Advice section.

Also, personalized help is available by utilizing our virtual outfitting program.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Hiking Backpack

Hi @Emcat23  and thanks for reaching out. First, way to go getting out on the AT! As @REI-AlyS mentioned, think about a virtual outfitting session because fit is the most important part of selecting a pack. I had my eyes set on one model, but when I actually tried on several, the best-fitting pack wasn't the first one I chose.

So many factors go into selecting a backpack, including the type of gear you are putting in it. Some folks go ultralight, some folks want all the creature comforts, and most of us are somewhere in between. I'm going to highlight 3 packs that work for a lot of our customers. Two of these I want to highlight because they come in different liter capacities, which allows you to determine how much you want to take with.

First, the Osprey Ariel AG Series of packs are a great choice. This pack comes in 55, 65, and 75 liter options. What's amazing about this pack is the "anti-gravity" system that makes the pack feel lighter and more balanced on the body.

Next is the Gregory Deva series of packs. These come in 60, 70, and 80 liters, but for your purposes 60 will probably be the best. I personally wear a Gregory pack for backpacking. It is the perfect mix of features, functionality, and fit for me and a lot of other people.

Finally, if you want to try something on the lighter, more minimalist side, take a peek at the REI Flash 55 . This pack is based on our popular Flash series of day packs, and is really all about keeping it light and cutting out the extras.

If you are planning on ultralight, there are other options out there as well, so just let us know.

Happy Trails!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Gear Advice: Women's Backpack for 4-5 day trips.

@Emcat23 sounds like an exciting trip!

Personally, my short trip (2-6 days) backpacking backpack is the Deuter Futura Vario - Women's. I use the 55 + 10 SL (I don't believe they make this size anymore), but they come in other sizes as well. REI sells the 45 + 10 SL size. I have used several Deuter backpacks, have found them all to be super reliable. The Futura Vario SL is specifically designed for women (although there is also a men's version), comes with a rain cover stored on the bottom, has amazing breath-ability and an easily adjustable back frame, and has a place to store a hydration bladder, among other incredible features.

I would highly recommend this pack, and any by Deuter.

www.brynsharpphotography.com
Featured