Highlighted

Gas leakage MSR Pocketrocket 2 Stove / Canister

Hi.  I just bought a Pocket Rocket 2 and a MSR 4oz gas canister.  I just tested it out before going to Glacier National Park next week.  When I attached and detached the canister a couple of times there was some gas leakage each time (while I was screwing the canister on and unscrewing it).  I live at 4,000 feet.  Is this normal?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Gas leakage MSR Pocketrocket 2 Stove / Canister

Howdy @Tonydavid. Thanks for your question... while I'm not an MSR engineer I have used these canisters for 20 or so years. What you're describing could be normal (a little gas escaping before the valve closes) or a "leaky valve."  Every once and a while (very rare) I've seen a "leaky valve" in a canister. It's usually an old canister that might have a little dirt/debris that has fallen into that small hole while in my pack or storage. Now I always try to put that cap on to prevent any contamination.  I live at 5000 feet so I don't think it's an "altitude thing." You might try submerging the canister under water to see if the valve is continuously leaking. If not, you could compare to a new canister to guage if the fuel loss is noticibly more dramatic. Happy Trails! 

-Jason O

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Even at lower altitudes, I always hear a little "hiss" when connecting and disconecting the stove and cannister. I think it is normal. I agree with REI Jason0 about using the plastic cap to cover the valve during transportation and storage and about how to test for leakage.

0 Likes
Highlighted

John and Jason....thanks for the replies. This was not little hiss but liquid coming out onto my hands. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Howdy @Tonydavid Thanks for the clarifications. It sounds like some more troubleshooting is required as what you described seems "not normal." I'd suggest trying a new canister at this point. From there, perhaps a stove issue. Super hard to diagnose with you digitally. Please don't hesitate to drop into an REI store for an in-person evaluation!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Tonydavid I'm having the exact same problem.  Leaking gas all over and tested it before needing to use it.  Was there any resolve to yours?

0 Likes
Highlighted

The lesson here is to have some sort of backup- hexamine tabs (esbit) or a very tiny, light weight alcohol stove, or other alternative.....

0 Likes
Highlighted

I went through my canisters I have, trying them out on two different stoves.  Faulty canister.  Sprays gas out when connection is made and unscrewing it.  Sprays all over the place and is dangerous.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Trecker @Tonydavid 

By chance, when you say that fuel sprays and comes out of the canister, are you holding the canister upright when you are attaching the stove, or are you holding both horizontally, parallel to the ground? It's easier to screw the stove onto the can holding both of them sideways, but it's a surefire way to get fuel leakage, which can be painful if it contacts your skin because of how cold it is. 

If you think you may have been holding it sideways, go back and try attaching the stove while your fuel canister is in the upright position and see if that helps. Hearing a tiny pssst when attaching the stove is normal, but once you tighten past that point, it goes away. If you're attaching the stove upright, and still getting fuel sprayed everywhere, I'd look into warranty. 

Featured