Highlighted

Favorite dehydrated meals

I love the mountain house turkey dinner meal. I always joke that I would eat it at home. The breakfast skillet one is real good too. Any others that you find yourself using again and again?

any that you hate?

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside

Re: Favorite dehydrated meals

Our favorite is the Backpacker's Pantry Veggi Pad Thai - it even comes with a little packet of peanut butter to stir in - yum!

According to Brendan Leonard, "Hiking has been known to increase the satisfaction level of many types of freeze dried food, as well as several flavors of energy bars, up to 35 percent."  So work hard out there on the trail and eat up!

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn

Depending on your taste, I found that the Backpacker's Panty Kathmandu Curry was good but it can be a bit spicy (and it dyed my grey spork yellow). Personally I liked it but my boyfriend wasn't too fond of it. Another one I like is the Mountain House Apple Crisp dessert, not too sweet and perfect for 2-3 people to share.

0 Likes

@Bonfire 

Everyone raves about Packit Gourmet for dehydrated meals...I haven't tried any of them yet, but hope to once I return to the states.

Here in Japan, there's this sort of mini-Ikea place called "Muji", and they have an incredible selection of dehydrated meals and heatable single-serving retort pouches. Really exotic stuff like curries, noodle dishes, seafood meals, and so much more. I am spoiled when it comes to backcountry cuisine!

Ohhhh. Are they light or are they those "Self Heating" ones. I'd do a care package if you want to swap some stuff?

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
0 Likes

The retiort pouches need to be boiled in a  pot of water. They don't have self-heaters. 

0 Likes

Especially you have dietary restrictions (Ex: Vegan) the Good To Go brand by far has the best taste. They might be 15% more expensive but they taste at least 50% better.

https://goodto-go.com/products

0 Likes

Good To-Go Herbed Mushroom Risotto

So does anyone have any recipes that they are willing to share? My creative is a little lacking. I've got come good chilly and oatmeat and that's about it.

Stay safe and I'll see you on the trails!
0 Likes