Highlighted

Re: Favorite dehydrated meals

So does anyone have any recipes that they are willing to share? My creative is a little lacking. I've got come good chilly and oatmeat and that's about it.

Stay safe and I'll see you on the trails!
0 Likes
Highlighted

I buy a few "factory" meals here and there because they sound good, but I'm usually disappointed in the taste and quantity. I used to simply cook and dehydrate my own meals, the problem being that the meat usually doesn't rehydrate well. My current solution is to cook and dehydrate the meals ( l love zatarain's rice meals) and then add freeze dried meat, put it in a mylar bag with an oxygen absorber, and vacuum bag it. I make several meals at once, and usually several varieties, then I have them ready to grab and go. I write any necessary directions on them with a waterproof marker. Ok, so my system requires a dehydrator and vacuum bagger, as well as buying freeze dried meat and mylar vacuum bags (they are different than regular mylar bags, but you can find them on amazon), but after adding up the costs, I figure I save about 50%, plus I can season to my liking, and make portions that fit me. It's not for everybody, but I'm basically getting a custom meal for a lot less.

Highlighted

I do the home cooked, home dehydrated meals, as well.  Pretty much anything is fair game that way!  I know how it's seasoned and what in it.  And I can size the portions the way I want them.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
0 Likes
Highlighted

I'm very fond of the Alpine Aire Shrimp Newburg, to which I'll add a pouch of salmon (or shrimp, but those are really hard to find).  AA seems to have stopped selling that particular menu item in the pouches, and the last time I acquired some it was a #10 can one of the survivalist-oriented websites still had on hand -- I have left it unopened until it's really needed and can be used in relatively short order as the level of humidity where I live (Central Texas) just isn't conducive to long-term storage of that type of material, even if the top is kept on and it's sealed in a plastic bag.

0 Likes
Highlighted

The mountain house breakfast skillet wrapped in a tortilla is AWESOME! We buy this every time we go out in the backcountry! Other favorites that accompany us every year are:

• Mountain House Chicken Breast w/ Mashed Potatoes
  • Mountain House Chicken Fried Rice w/ Vegetables
  • Backpacker's Pantry Cuban Coconut Black Beans & Rice
  • Backpacker's Pantry and Mountain House's Ice Cream Sandwiches (YUM!)
  • Mountain House Macaroni & Cheese
  • Backpacker's Pantry Pad Thai (one of my favorites that I'll even eat off-trail)
  • Backpacker's Pantry Three Cheese Macaroni & Cheese
  • Alpine Aire has some snacks that are awesome: Mango Fire & Toffee Break (the bomb!)
  • Thrive Life has some great freeze-dried snackies: Banana Bites, Berry Parfait, Cashew Chew, Cheddar Bites, and Strawberry Pina Colada

Foods that I will NEVER carry/eat on the trail again: 

• Clif Bar Builder's Protein Bars (I couldn't stomach them on the trail) 
  • Mountain House Biscuits and Gravy (was like eating wallpaper paste)
  • Mountain House Chicken and Dumplings (same as above)
  • Alpine Aire Wild Quinoa Pilaf w/ Hemp Crispies (I liked the taste but became violently ill one night after eating it that I was afraid to ever eat it again)
  • Tortilla w/ Peanut Butter (we still bring tortilla with us, but I will never bring them to eat with peanut butter ever again, it's so dry that it made me gag)
Highlighted

@RedPackWalking

LOL! So true about the MH biscuits/gravy & chicken/dumplings, I had to chuckle!

I'm lazy and did MH for years and years (lasagna is great! but concrete on your spoon...and...need a long spoon to keep food off you knuckles)

Then I was shamed around the campfire by all my energetic friends dehydrating their own food and vacuum bagging it.  My wife makes great chili, which I would dehydrate with TLC, but it just never tasted the same at camp.

Did I mention laziness?  So I'm back to MH.

I love the flour tortillas for lunch, also with peanut butter, but also alternate packets of squeeze cheddar cheese which, imo, is fantastic!

I rebag my MH meals into a freezer ziplock and just pour in boiling water; In my mind it's lighter, more compactable. (no cleaning required) I also carry a few extra ziplocks, in case I'm not hungry enough, in order to split the meal for later use.

For breakfast, Quaker oats oatmeal packets, in a freezer ziplock, with walnuts and raisins added. Coffee is the starbucks packets. 2 per day.

I also throw in a daily candy bar, some cheese sticks, large ziplock of M&Ms w/peanuts, sometimes a large bag of mixed nuts or cashews, maybe some 'combo's (smash resistant), I need a salty snack ever so often. (now I'm getting hungry) I don't eat this crap at home.  I try to pack about 2000 cal/day but almost never make it...or need it.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Backpackers Pad Thai. It is delicious enough that if you forget your lunch at work, it can solve the problem without needing to be exhausted and starving to consume!

0 Likes
Featured