Highlighted

Eggs..........

OK, I have to admit that I have problems finding palatable breakfast food for backpacking. I'm not that thrilled with the eggs in the freeze dried breakfast meals that I've tried. I only do freezer bag or no-cook meals. I normally eat some variety of oatmeal for most mornings. After much research, I decided to see if I could make "scrambled eggs in a freezer bag". I purchased some OvaEasy egg crystals, put the "two egg" amount in a bag with the appropriate amount of water, and squished and rolled the bag. It seemed to mix up very easily, I couldn't feel anything grainy after just a few seconds. Got out my pocket rocket and toaks cup, filled the cup about 1/3 full of water, and lit the stove. Put the bag of eggs in, brought to a boil ( I don't normally boil water, just get it hot, but these are raw eggs), slowed it down to a simmer, and waited until they started to firm up. I opened the bag and stirred them a couple of times, cooked until firm alll over, dumped them on a plate (because I was at home LOL) added salt and pepper. I was truly surprised by the taste, they were almost as good as fresh eggs. Nice texture, tastes great, not watery or gritty.IMG_0912-2.jpg Yes, it took a little time and effort, and I'm sure it burned more fuel than my normal breakfast, but it was GOOD. I have some butter powder on order, and I keep freeze dried sausage on hand, so next I'll try a combo meal. This was really just an "egg" test. Next time I'll check to see how much fuel it takes, but I don't think it's a horribly high amount, since simmering doesn't use much. I'll post the combo meal results after that experiment is over.

Highlighted

Re: Eggs..........

I wrote somewhat extensively on this topic before (different forum), and powdered whole eggs, whole milk, "textured vegetable protein" (TVP), etc. are generally pretty good. Many of these are available through "prepper" companies on Amazon and most are worth a try. 

Of course, at least for the first few days, I prefer fresh food. Packable fresh vegetables include potatoes, carrots and even onions (I like the little "baby" version of each). Sometimes, you can find new items in your grocery store, I recently found bacon that needs NO refrigeration! BACON!! It's precooked, but it's sliced REALLY thin!!! (I like thick, sloppy bacon stripes!!!!) 

But, there are ways to make fresh foods packable: For meats, I'll freeze it and pack it well to maintain the temperature as much as possible. Eggs, I have a small plastic egg carrier, though I tend to use it more for pic-nics. You can even put things like peanut butter in squeeze tubes. Still, I stick to dehydrated foods for more serious outings. 

But if you REALLY want to enjoy fresh food (and impress other campers), forage wild meats (fish, snakes, squirrel, etc.) and veggies (dandelions, nuts, the cambium layer under pine tree bark, etc), or try BAKING something with your campfire!  *;p

Highlighted

@SurvivalGal I have a method for bacon too. I just fry it, then smash it between two paper towels to get rid of most of the grease, then while it's still hot I take it out of the paper towels and vacuum pack it in daily portions. I've kept it for a week like this with no problem. It does tend to stick together, maybe that's why the "shelf stable" bacon that I've bought has waxed paper between the layers LOL. DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for anyone using this method, I'm simply stating that it works for me.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Impressive results!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Hey @SILHiker .  Nice "recipe".  Thanks for sharing.  The egg crystals you used will definitely help with the ounce-counters, but, if you really prefer the taste of real eggs, you can use one of the plastic egg carriers that @SurvivalGal mentioned.  It's a bit bulkier and heavier to do it that way, but, fresh beats freeze-dried in my book. While eggs will last longer when refrigerated, they don't really need to be.  They will last just fine for a several day excursion.  In fact, in the UK, eggs are not generally refrigerated at all.

In the immortal words of Julia Child, Bon appetit!

Highlighted

@Rob6 Yeah, the US is overly cautious on refrigerating eggs, makes me wonder how old they are when they get to the store. I used to have a flock of chickens (until the raccoon population decided to kill them all) and we only wiped the crud off the eggs with a dry cloth and never refrigerated them. I don't carry anything that isn't dry except for what I'm drinking, and even fresh eggs are considerably heavier than powdered. I know that I CAN take eggs, fresh meat, and fruits to use the first few days, but I just don't want the extra weight.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Don't get me wrong, you can make some  really good meals using off-the-shelf, dry/instant food from the supermarket. I sometimes make chili beans over rice (instant refried beans and chili sauce/powder over white instant rice) or spaghetti in Alfredo sauce with smoked oysters, carrots and onions with parmesan cheese crazy good!

But seriously, does NOBODY here ever get a frog, snake, squirrel...?

Highlighted

Not sure why the picture is pink and green, I assure you the eggs are yellow and the plate is white. It sure didn't look like this when I uploaded it.

0 Likes
Highlighted

DANG!  I was looking forward to green eggs to have with some ham.  (props to Theodor Geisel)

I was hoping your recipe would have produced those groovy results!  Back to the drawing board...

Highlighted

So today I tried this as a combo.... 2 eggs (21 gr powder), 1Tbs butter powder (7 gr), 1/4 cup freeze-dried sausage crumbles (20 gr) and 5 1/3 oz of water (158 gr).  I just threw it all in a zip-lock bag, rolled and smooshed it to dissolve the powders, put it in my Toaks cup on the Pocket Rocket, brought to a boil, then simmered for a minute or so until the eggs firmed up. Dumped it on a plate and kinda chopped it up. I did have some extra water to drain off, so I'm thinking I'll try 4 oz of water next time. It was very tasty, and not much trouble.

I used 6 gr of fuel, so I can live with that.

Nutrtition as I calculate it:

Eggs - 140 cal, 0 carbs, 10 gr fat

Butter - 50 cal, <1 gr carbs, 5 gr fat

Sausage - 139 cal, .5 gr carbs, 12 gr fat

Total - 329 cal, <1.5 gr carbs, 27 gr fat.

Total weight of food not counting packaging - 48 gr, 1.7 oz, 193 calories/oz. IMG_0914-2.jpgIMG_0915-2.jpg

You could easily up these numbers by increasing any of the ingredients.

Featured