Highlighted

Dogs and Bears

If there are lots of dogs on the trail/at the camp, will there be bears?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dogs and Bears

Hey there @ShuaiBaJ! I can only speak from my experience, but I tend to find that there is no guarantee of a bear-free trail or camp when there are lots of dogs. We've got two doggos we backpack with here in the Sierra (black bear country, no grizzlies for us). Last week we turned a corner and spooked a young solo male! He put on quite the show, even mock charging us a few times. We definitely still run into bears even when out on trails with the dogs. Take a look at our Backpacking and Camping in Bear Country expert advice if you want some tips on what to do if you find yourself in a close encounter like we were! Happy Trails!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Dogs and Bears

Hey there @ShuaiBaJ! I can only speak from my experience, but I tend to find that there is no guarantee of a bear-free trail or camp when there are lots of dogs. We've got two doggos we backpack with here in the Sierra (black bear country, no grizzlies for us). Last week we turned a corner and spooked a young solo male! He put on quite the show, even mock charging us a few times. We definitely still run into bears even when out on trails with the dogs. Take a look at our Backpacking and Camping in Bear Country expert advice if you want some tips on what to do if you find yourself in a close encounter like we were! Happy Trails!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Featured