Highlighted

DIY Nutella packets

IMG_1036-2.jpg

I decided to try to make Nutella packets, so that I could buy it by the jar instead of the little tubs. Yes, I can. Next to try, peanut butter or honey.

Highlighted

Re: DIY Nutella packets

@SILHiker YUM! Great idea - thanks for sharing! @REI-JohnJ is a BIG fan of Nutella...

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Yes, great idea. How'd you make em?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@SILHiker 

That's awesome! 

What did you use to seal the packets?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
Highlighted

@Dad_Aint_Hip @GreenWorldWalker  It took a little experimenting LOL. I took a spare sawyer cleaning syringe and drilled out the end, filled it with Nutella, made bags with my vacuum sealer, weighed 37 grams into each packet, and vacuum sealed it on low vacuum. I found it's easier to get the nutella in without making a mess if I make the bags more or less square instead of long and skinny.

Highlighted

(runs off to get his vacuum sealer...)

I'm definitely going to do that, too. Thanks for the great idea!

Last weekend I made Lara Bar knock-offs. Four ingredients, 10 minutes total, no baking required. They were great to have on trail as a snack.

“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
Highlighted

I have recipes for imitation KIND bars, but I haven't made any yet. It's on my list though.

Highlighted

I’ll post my recipe when I get home (instead of typing it on my phone) 

Highlighted

Please do!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Here it is - my recipe for Strawberry Pie "Lara-ish" Bars

• 1 cup dried strawberries
  • ½ cup Medjool dates (pitted)
  • ¼ cup dried blueberries
  • 1 cup raw almonds

1. In a food processor (use the "S" blade), combine the strawberries, dates, and blueberries until it forms a sticky dough. - This can take up to 3-4 minutes, depending on how powerful your food processor is.
  2. Add in the almonds and process again until the almonds are broken down and the mixture looks uniform. It may look crumbly but it should stick together when you pich it with your fingers.
  3. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper, turn the mixture onto it, and press it into a flat rectangle (about ½-¾" in thickness). You can use a rolling pin but I just use my hands.
  4. Put the sheet into the fridge for about 20 minutes to let it set.
  5. After 20 minutes, slice them into 8 equal size bars. Wrap them individually in parchment paper or plastic wrap and keep in the fridge. But they'll easily last a few days at room temperature, making them great to toss in your pack.

Here's mine:

Strawberry-Lara-Bar.png

(245 calories per serving, makes 8 servings)

Featured