cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Cold weather overnight hike with dogs

Avid hiker, new to hiking with dog. I am Looking for tips on how to safely hike overnight with a couple friends (also avid hikers) and our dogs. Planning on hiking first week of October in the White Mtns of New Hampshire. I thoroughly understand the importance of safety, and wearing the correct cold weather gear to hunker down for the night. I’m looking for tips or info from fellow backpackers who have similar experience hiking with their dogs as far as keeping them warm, comfortable, and safe. Planning on staying in a shelter but if it is safer to do so we will stay in the tent for warmth. My dog has been on numerous overnight backpacking trips during the spring and summer months, this will be her first cold season overnight. There are 2 dogs and 3 adults total in our party. Any tips/ info is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!

Happy Trails!

0 Likes

Re: Cold weather overnight hike with dogs

@MGMillie great question - thanks for asking this community for help! One suggestion would be to post it a second time on our Outside with Pets board, to get more eyes on it!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Re: Cold weather overnight hike with dogs

Thank you, just discovered these forums, navigation is not my strong suit, sorry bout that!