Highlighted

Camp Cooking

Food tastes even better when it is prepared outside (especially after a long day hiking). What is your favorite meal to prepare on the trail?
At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Camp Cooking

Backpacking Breakfast Burritos!

I love having a warm breakfast out on the trail. When I am out backpacking for multiple days I tend not to bring as many fun food options as I would on my short trips. I am constantly testing out new, lightweight "real" food options that fill me up. Tortillas are one of my favorite things to bring! They take up barely any space and are super versatile.

Backpacking Breakfast Burrito. Best enjoyed at the Beach!Backpacking Breakfast Burrito. Best enjoyed at the Beach!

Ingredients:

Tortilla

Crystalized eggs

Freeze-dried guacamole (And/or an avocado if you can sacrifice the weight)

Parmesan cheese packet (Think the kind that comes with pizza)

Water

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Camp Cooking

One thing that's good to impress a group is baking something over your backpacking stove. 

I like using an off-the-shelf muffin mix (one that uses water only), mix it up in a large zip lock, you have to use/carry something called a 'bake-packer', basically a 2 qt pot, with a 1" high aluminum grid that sits in the bottom of the pot. 

Fill the pot with water to the height of the grid, set the zip lock, partially closed, inside, cover, bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 min or so, et voila! you have a giant muffin cooked up (steamed) inside the zip lock. 

Pros: impresses and tastes great on the trail.  Cons: extra weight, uses a lot of your fuel.  Best on shorter hikes.

Another one that has been absolutely loved in the past - Bring some gluhwein ( I carry it in a plastic water bottle), bring it out around the campfire after dinner on a cold winters' night, heat it up over your stove, guaranteed you will be the hero!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Featured