Highlighted

Best Overnight backpacking trails In Colorado for beginners

My fiancé and I are looking to do more backpacking this year in co. We currently live in Denver. We are both very new and are looking for easy to medium trails as we are also building our stamina. We went once last year somewhere near Cheesman res and we loved it! 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Best Overnight backpacking trails In Colorado for beginners

@Fortejam Awesome glad to hear you're wanting to put a toe in the water! best place I would say is it's a great over night backpacking and amazing fly fishing too is Lawn lake - in RMNP. Its a good solid 6 miles in, and also you can visit clear lake as well. make sure to get to the trail head before 7am, because this will give you time to park with out stress, also hike/ setup camp/ explore clear lake/ make foods, and enjoy. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Fortejam So many great choices out there!  Lost Creek Wilderness has some amazing trails, including Goose Creek Trail with some really good camping.  Surprise Lake in the Gore Range.  Pine Creek Trail in Chaffee County.  Chicago Lakes from Echo Lake. Moffat Tunnel East Portal to Forest Lakes. Butler Gulch off Berthoud Pass.  Chinns/Slater Lake. Great Sand Dunes are an amazing experience.  Or just get on the Colorado Trail or Continental Divide Trail at an trailhead and start hiking.  

PM me if you want to talk more about options considering your experience, gear, and vehicle.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Fortejam you have about a million options living there (sooooo lucky)

my advice:

pick a wilderness area (because you can camp anywhere and practically for as long as you wish, no permits required (well, you still need a fishing license)

get a map

look at trail heads, convenient to you, and trails leading out from there, maybe a little loop or an out-and-back

check the weather and be prepared

check out the area or trail name on youtube for an advanced recon.

ENJOY!!!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Featured