Highlighted

Re: Lightweight camp / water crossing footwear

Hey REI! Not understanding your new venture, but anyway, wondering who's the genius picking your solutions?

The z trails xero shoe weighs in at whopping 5.4oz EACH, with a price tag of $80.(from xeroshoes website), bing bing bing, that's the solution?  A little disenginuous if you ask me.

Anyway, for comparison sake, a pair of crocs (or knock offs), weighs 4.1oz EACH (size 9), costs less than $40 ($27 on amazon), and covers your toes, why wasn't this the winner?  Just asking, please don't tell me it was just a matter of personal preference, thanks.

phil reed (member since 1979)

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Philreedshikes your fellow community users are "picking solutions" so someone else in the community must have felt there was a really good answer provided in this thread! REI employees are mostly here to answer questions posed directly to us in the "Ask an REI Employee" board and to moderate the community, ensuring it stays positive, welcoming and safe for all who choose to participate. Thanks for asking!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-JenK thank you so much. Please tell me how to select a solution, I still can’t find it.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

http://idiveblue.com/best-dive-booties/

That's one source, and you can find far more recommendations through searching on the term "dive booties".

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Philreedshikes, I think our FAQs will be helpful in answering your question, the section on Accepted Solutions. Hoping that helps, let me know if not!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Received my Xero Shoes Z-Trek Men's Minimalist Barefoot-Inspired Sport Sandals today. They are definitely minimalist, but have a full sandal strap set. A pair of size 12's weigh 16.2 oz, which seems more than I was hoping, but as all the size comparisons give the weight of smaller size sandals it all works out in the end. Bigger footgear just weighs more 😉 Thanks again for the tip, needed something like this as I move into longer AT sections and have to deal with wounds and blisters on trail instead of relying on being back home after 5 or so days. Sandals like this will be a big help. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Ok, I definitely hike my own hike: Wal-Mart water shoes, with super feet pink. That way I'm good for camp shoes, and if hiking footwear goes wrong, I have insoles.

0 Likes
Highlighted

That's what I use- cheap Fred Meyer water shoes. They won't come off in a stream, dry almost instantly and are comfortable around camp.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Croc swiftwater shoe. Light and comfy.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I use Keen Evo's, Brooks Cascadia's (GTX and non GTX) and have a pair of neoprene socks from Amazon ($20).  You can take your shoes off and cross with just socks on - works great- lots of cusion. Good friend of mine hiked Mt Whitney (in the snow) this past Monday- he wore his Keen sandals the ENTIRE way! 🙂

0 Likes
Featured