Highlighted

Best GoPro Camera for recording while on the AT?

Hi, I was wondering if a GoPro Hero 5 Session would be adequate for recording one's journey on the AT and/or if an upgrade is needed (GoPro Hero 8)? Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Best GoPro Camera for recording while on the AT?

Hi @pattdevv54 personally, I own the GoPro Hero 7 Black for all of my hands-free video recordings (backpacking, trail running, and especially rock climbing). It's an amazing piece of gear. I have never used the GoPro Hero 5, so I can't advise you on whether an upgrade is ideal or not, but here is a link to a review by a website that I love that compares the Hero 5 to the Hero 7 (I know you asked about the Hero 8, but I figured this may be helpful nonetheless). This same person has a comparative review between the Hero 7 Black and the Hero 8 black, which may be helpful as well.

If you do decide to upgrade, I know that GoPro is having an awesome deal right now on their website which drops the GoPro Hero 8 Black to $299.99. They are also throwing in an extra battery and memory card with the deal.

Hope this helps!

www.brynsharpphotography.com
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Best GoPro Camera for recording while on the AT?

also using a hero 7 black, works great, 4k, battery lasts a long time.  Finally settled in on a little gizmo a 'stick pic'  https://www.thestickpic.com/stickpic1.html for about $17 to shoot from my hiking pole, went through several iterations of connecting to the poles, this is by far the easiest, surest, lightest, option.

The gopros go on sale seems like every time they upgrade, so you can get great deals.

I use adobe premiere elements on the vids if I want to modify lens curvature distortion or work on the colors.

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

ps - skip the AT, unless you like walking in a wet, dank, tree tunnel for 6 months.  Go PCT or CDT, at least you get great views all day!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

The Arizona Trail is also amazing!

www.brynsharpphotography.com