Highlighted

Best 2P Tent for Tall Backpacking Couple?

Hi! My boyfriend and I are both becoming avid backpackers. We've been using his 6-pound Marmot Mantis tent for some time, but would like to upgrade to something a little newer, and a lighter. 

I would love a recommendation as to what tent will be easy to carry on multi-day backpacking trips, and comfortable enough for two people over 6 feet tall. 

Thanks!

Anna

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Best 2P Tent for Tall Backpacking Couple?

Not an REI employee but...

Generally 3P tents are best for couples.

This is going to make me look like a Big Agnes fan boy since I just posted yesterday but take a look at the BA Copper Spur UL3  ...90 inches long with a 43 inch peak with a packed weight of 3lb 14oz.

https://www.rei.com/product/164194/big-agnes-copper-spur-hv-ul3-tent

The UL2 is also quite generous a 88 and 40 inches and 12oz lighter but you will need tapered or 20 inch sleeping pads.  If you usually use the tent solo it might be a better choice.

https://www.rei.com/product/164193/big-agnes-copper-spur-hv-ul2-tent

The Copper Spur UL 2 and UL3 are generally considered one of the best backpacking tent designs.  I have not use the latest iteration but this years improvements with the trekking pole canopy certainly look like a nice feature.

If you want lighter the BA Tiger Wall UL3 is 88 long with a 42 inch peak.  I use the UL2 (88 39) for solo carry and I'm just under 6ft and find it generous. It has also been used a a couples tent but only one participant was 6ft tall.  It is is more delicate than the CS and semi-freestanding...you have to guy out the foot.

https://www.rei.com/product/128991/big-agnes-tiger-wall-ul3-tent

These tents have a fairly upright head wall.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @annabanana,

There are a few options I think will work. The two main ways to maximize interior space in a tent are to elongate it, or use the tent's architecture to cause the end walls of the tent to rise up vertically so there is no wasted space at the bottom.

The REI Co-op Half Dome 2 Plus is 92" and the longest tent I can find that we carry. It is still a bit heavier, but is a great spacious tent.

The NEMO Dagger 2 is 90" and has the benefit of tent pole that rise up almost vertically at the head. This makes more of the floor space usable. It is considerably lighter.

The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 is 88" and like the Dagger, has a pole structure maximizing its interior space. It is the lightest of the three options listed here.

I hope this helps. I'm excited for you two to further develop your passion for backpacking! If you have more questions, consider making a Virtual Outfitting appointment to help get you fully set up for your next adventure!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Thanks, Alex! This is super helfpul.

Featured