Highlighted

Re: Bear Bags and Bear Resistant Containers - why are they necessary?

@HoughtonLikeTheLake You wrote "I feel as though your opinion on REI as people that are pushing products that they sell, is not true for everyone."

I once went to an REI for a bike part or repair and they were not able to help me, so they referred me to the nearby Trek store. That is why I trust REI.

In terms of our current discussion, REI also sells various bags and stuff sacks, carabiners, and rope and cord that could be used for a bear bag hang, in addition to Bear Vaults. I have never sensed that anyone here is pushing products available only at REI, so you are right on and I agree with you.

Highlighted

I've posted this a couple of time, but might be ok here,  happy viewing! (and please subscribe!)

https://youtu.be/M0tqq32Zp5A

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted

@Philreedshikes 

Great video, thanks for sharing!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.

Nice video but not sure how it supports the "theory" that bear canisters are necessary.

0 Likes
Highlighted

It’s just....a video

Highlighted

btw, canisters are ‘necessary’ because SEKI NP  says they are, if you want a permit

Highlighted

Lots of rules and laws. Lots of bull**bleep**s.

”signs, signs, everywhere signs!”

0 Likes
Highlighted

I think you will find the following discussion of managing bear-human interactions, and the need to keep bears away from human foods helpful:  https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/storingfood.htm

In many naturally managed areas with significant visitation, keeping the wild populations away from human food sources can be a tricky problem.  I am personally acquainted with the island fox (a smaller version of its mainland ancestor) and the campgrounds at Channel islands National Park    Here the NPS has installed fox proof metal storage lockers at each campground site to keep the foxes on their natural feed.

That isn't the only natural population which poses potential interactions with humans with potential negative consequences.  There is a substantial shark population in park waters, due to extensive pinniped   populations.  It is a good idea to avoid feeding them, as well.....

Highlighted

To the best of my knowledge, bear resistant containers do allow scents outside the container.  I always store mine at least 150 yards downwind.  Any scented materials should be put into the container, e.g. toothpaste, snacks, etc...  Using a bear canister keeps the bears safe in that they are less likely to associate food and humans.  If you don't want to purchase bear resistant container, rent one.

Highlighted

The concern with bear-bagging is that it's very difficult to do correctly, in that a) the trees may not cooperate and provide a good hanging location and b) bears are getting smarter about bear hangs all the time.

This article from Andrew Skurka changed my mind and made me an advocate of bear canisters.  I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been linked yet 😃 https://andrewskurka.com/argument-against-hanging-bear-bag/

Featured