Highlighted

What to do now? Outside activities with kids near Austin, TX.

I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old and they are bored out of their mind. I need some ideas about what outdoor activity’s we should be doing. We have been going swimming and doing bike rides but what else? We live in Austin, TX. Please respond if you have ideas. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: What to do now? Outside activities with kids near Austin, TX.

@Orb2009 Thanks for reaching out!

We tapped into our Austin team's expertise and they gave us some ideas:

• It’s the perfect time for Hill Country wildflower viewing from the car but get them while you can because summer is coming in hot.
  • I’ve seen families brightening up their neighborhoods with sidewalk chalk which is a great creative activity for kids to do outside that might spread some cheer for everyone.Texas State Parks are now open for responsible day use but keep in mind that you do have to make a reservation online.
  • Last, but far from least, in the spirit of Opt Outside, we recommend teaching the little ones stewardship skills with a neighborhood trash pick-up! Obviously be safe—wear gloves, wash your hands well afterwards, and invest in a contact-less grabber stick if you are able— but there’s no time like the present to take better care of our home turf!

Hopefully this helps get you pointed in the right direction, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@Orb2009 Thanks for reaching out!

We tapped into our Austin team's expertise and they gave us some ideas:

• It’s the perfect time for Hill Country wildflower viewing from the car but get them while you can because summer is coming in hot.
  • I’ve seen families brightening up their neighborhoods with sidewalk chalk which is a great creative activity for kids to do outside that might spread some cheer for everyone.Texas State Parks are now open for responsible day use but keep in mind that you do have to make a reservation online.
  • Last, but far from least, in the spirit of Opt Outside, we recommend teaching the little ones stewardship skills with a neighborhood trash pick-up! Obviously be safe—wear gloves, wash your hands well afterwards, and invest in a contact-less grabber stick if you are able— but there’s no time like the present to take better care of our home turf!

Hopefully this helps get you pointed in the right direction, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Thank you so much! We will definitely be trying these! Stay safe!