Highlighted

Seeking advice on good places to hike in Austin, TX

Where are some good places to hike in Austin Texas? I’m such a newbie and I just need a pro’s opinion. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Seeking advice on good places to hike in Austin, TX

@Orb2009 We also got some local perspective from our Austin team for this question:

• The Lady Bird Lake/Ann Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail is ever an Austin staple. The 10 mile loop partially paved boardwalk/dirt track circles Town Lake, right on the downtown riverfront. Bridges which cross the lake allow you to split your hike/bike into smaller sections or you can do the whole 10 mile loop.
  • The Barton Creek Greenbelt offers miles of recreation opportunities from light well-marked walking routes to more rugged trails featuring stream crossings.
  • If you have a dog, the Turkey Creek Trail in Northwest Austin , near Emma Long Metro Park is a great option. The 2.9 mile loop trail is off-leash, features river crossings, rocky inclines, and wildflower fields. The parking lot is free for day use.
  • Pedernales Falls and Pace Bend Park are both Texas State Parks now open for day-use visitors near Austin.

We also encourage you to check out this thread as it has a couple of good ideas in it as well.

Hope this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Orb2009 

@REI-JohnJ has some good suggestions, but right now all of those are very busy and can get extremely crowded. I suggest looking into the state parks a little ways outside of Austin - Inks Lake State Park has some great trails and options for swimming after. McKinney Falls State Park and Lockhart State park are both good hiking options with a variety of levels of difficulty.

The great thing about the state parks is they are limiting the capacity right now, so unlike the local or county parks, you don't run the risk of them being overcrowded. You do, however, have to go to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website to reserve a day pass (usually $6 or less). 

Highlighted

@Orb2009 

In addition to the other suggestions, Colorado Bend State Park is great. A bit of a drive, but not too bad.

Featured
Other boards in this category
Top liked members