Highlighted

What are the best waterproof boots for snowshoeing?

What would recommend to be the best waterproof hiking boots for snow shoeing. The boots I used last year gave me the worst blisters in my arches. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Water proof Boots

@khill110378 Thanks for reaching out!

We're sorry to hear that you got blisters in your arches while snowshoeing. The most important factor in preventing blisters is the fit of your boot, so we recommend going in to your local REI store and working with a footwear expert to get measured and try on different styles. You can also schedule an outfitting appointment to work with your schedule if you would like. 

Typically, blisters are caused by friction from too much movement inside your boots. In addition to appropriate fit, consider these options to help prevent blisters:

• A good pair of moisture-wicking socks (or a liner sock) to help prevent blisters in the future. 
  • Lacing techniques (to keep your foot from moving too much in the boot),
  • An after-market foot bed to provide arch support if needed. 

Here are a couple of Expert Advice articles that can give you some more information on How to Lace Hiking Boots and Blister Prevention and Care.

Lastly, because you are snowshoeing, you could consider a pair of winter boots like the Oboz Bridger Insulated Winter Boots or the Merrell Thermo Chill Waterproof Boots. They are insulated and have snowshoe specific features like a rubber heel kick/rand for keeping the snowshoe strap in place. As with a pair of hiking boots, you'll want to try them on for appropriate fit to your foot.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured