Highlighted

UPDATE: REI retail stores are temporarily closed until further notice

Co-op employees and members,

As the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak continues to spread throughout the communities where we all live and work, we have consistently looked for ways to help protect the health and safety of our employees and customers. Since our founding, REI has been about doing the right thing for our community.  

After a great deal of careful consideration, we are temporarily closing our 162 retail stores nationwide starting tomorrow, March 16, through March 27 I believe that is the right thing for our community. In fact, I believe it is our duty—to do all we can to help keep one another safe in this unprecedented moment. 

That also means all employees from our stores will be paid during this temporary closure. And, even with our stores closed, we will be working hard to do everything we can to continue to serve our customers. All orders through REI.com will get free shipping while our stores are closed. Customers who have questions about gear and local outdoor activities that they’d normally ask in our stores can get answers through our digital community, REI Conversations and Co-op Journal will feature articles that help people find ways to get outside even during these challenging times 

We’ve always been deliberate and transparent when making significant decisions about our business. This is a difficult decision for any business, and I do not make it lightly. Our decisions are grounded in the belief that there are more important things than business right now—we owe that to one another 

Know that we will continue to work closely with our teams and public health officials throughout the country to understand how to best serve your needs, and serve our customers as soon as local conditions allow. We’ll continue to share information with our members and employees as we move forward together into a future that’s hard to predict. 

In the meantime, thank you for your understanding, your patience and, most of all, for being a part of this incredible community. The outdoors remains a vital part of all our lives, especially in moments like this.  

Be well and take care of one another. 

My very best, 

Eric Artz 

President & CEO, REI Co-op 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Re: REI RETAIL STORES CLOSING THROUGH MARCH 27

Hello,

Certainly understand the company’s decision. It sounds like the right thing to do.  Is there a plan in place to deal with customers who have items in the store, such as bikes being serviced?

Highlighted

Re: REI RETAIL STORES CLOSING THROUGH MARCH 27

@JN00 thanks for reaching out, and for your patience on our response! Our local store teams will be contacting customers tomorrow (Monday) who currently have bike/skis in our shops to determine best next steps.

Highlighted

I applaud you guys on putting the health and safety of your employees first.

My question is, if I had an item shipped to the store arriving this Wednesday, will it instead come to my house or will I not see it until the ban is lifted?

Highlighted

@Buckeye_Tim Thank you for your sentiments.

We recommend you wait to pick up your online orders in store once we have reopened. If you need these items before March 28, please call REI Sales & Customer Support to determine your options.

Thank you for your patience.

Highlighted

Re: REI RETAIL STORES CLOSING UNTIL MARCH 27

@Buckeye_Tim our local store teams will be working to contact all customers who have packages that have already arrived in the store and arranging for alternate pick-up options on Mon and Tue of this week. This option will only apply to packages that have already arrived, not those that are in transit, and we are asking that folks wait to be contacted by our store teams. As @REI-JohnJ mentioned, if you need your item(s) before March 28, please contact our Customer Support team at 1-800-426-4840. Thank you.

Highlighted

So grateful for your store, your thoughtfulness and your desire to take care of your employees! 

I am curious, will my local store open on the 27th and will I be able to rent things as I had planned for that weekend?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Potranca thank you for the question! As you can imagine, everything is rapidly evolving and our plan, as of now, is to reopen our stores on March 28th. With that said, we will continue to evaluate the situation around the country and keep our members and employees updated as quickly as possible if things change.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thank You!!

Highlighted

Bravo!!  Excellent decision, very much in the public interest.  i am gratified that employees will receive pay.  I will look on line and findsomething I can't live without and have it shipped to my house.

Once again, REI is more than just another merchant!!

Featured