Highlighted

Travelling with kayaks

I have two Future Beach kayaks and J hooks installed on my Subaru Impreza hatchback. I'm going to be driving from Massachusetts to Florida at the end of August, and wonder if it's a good idea to take my kayaks with me or try to sell them. Are there any safety considerations to transporting kayaks for that kind of distance?

Highlighted

Re: Travelling with kayaks

@andreazuchora 

In my experience, as long as they are mounted correctly and strapped down, you shouldn't have any safety considerations in transporting your kayaks over that distance. I advise you make it a habit to check the straps every time you get in the car to drive; just to be sure nothing has come loose. The only really consideration would be the impact to your gas mileage and making sure they are secured and locked. I hope that helps you make your decision. Have a great trip!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@andreazuchora 

There is lots of great information and solutions here! REI has some great information here that illustrates a lot of of what @REI-JohnJ is talking about. 

I'll add one thing, if you are traveling with a kayak with a cockpit, its a great idea to have a proper cockpit cover. This will keep out any bad weather you could drive through on your journey. You’ll keep both rain and unwanted camp creatures from sneaking inside during the journey.

If you need a cockpit cover, you can find a number of them here.

Most cockpit covers are sized and are determined by the make and model of the kayak.

Have a fun and safe journey and good luck!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

I have transported my 16 foot long sea kayaks over several hundred mile trips many times without incident.  

My rule for strapping down kayaks:  Each of the following people should check the strapping (if present):  Driver of the car.  Owner of the car.  Owner of the kayaks.  Each has an interest in it being done correctly.  Check the kayaks every time you return to your car and every couple of hours driving.  

Carry a couple extra straps!  I have had a strap stolen while the vehicle was parked.  

Highlighted

Hey @andreazuchora, thanks for your question!

Even though you posted this question on the "Ask an REI Employee" board, you may also get suggestions from other members of the community. We wanted to provide a friendly reminder (from our User Guidelines) that "only posts from a user with the “REI Employee” rank should be regarded as employee-generated content."

Additionally, regardless of whether you decide to sell the kayaks or strap them down for the long haul, we wish you good luck! 

0 Likes
Featured