tents

I am buying a tent for camping alone. I am a 65 yo woman with a back problem, will not be backpacking, just carrying to campsites at national parks at the most. I need a tent that is easy to assemble, size negotiable, prefer being able to see the sky on good days but the rain fly must be easy to add or built in. For camping in Colorado, Texas, other states. price matters but I would rather get something that lasts. I don't think I will get cancer from a tent but in general I don't like things with california warnings. Thanks

Re: tents

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/163872/eureka-x-loft-2-person-tent

At 5 pounds 12 ounces, the weight is good. The price is reasonable.

There are videos on the manufacturer's website here:

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/camping/x-loft-2-person-tent

Not sure about the California warnings. Aluminum (tent poles) is inert, but they may come with a warning.

Happy TrailsSmiley Happy

0 Likes

Direct link to product video:

https://youtu.be/CUUs7G0FQF4

Check out the X-Loft series from Eureka! Light, spacious and easy to set up, the X-Loft is the world's best freestanding tunnel tent, combining the roomy interior with the reliability of a freestanding architecture.
0 Likes

@Peonygirl Thanks for reaching out!

There are so many variables to selecting a tent it can feel very overwhelming. It sounds like you're well on your way! I recommend checking out this Expert Advice article on selecting the best tent for your needs. As you can see here there a lot of options that will meet your criteria. I suggest narrowing down your choices to a couple options and then going into your local REI store and setting them up to see how easy they are. You can even make an appointment with a personal outfitter if you would like to spend some one-on-one time with a green vest.

A feature I always appreciate is having the ability to fully stand up inside a tent. It seems like something that may not matter that much but I'm always happy when I use a tent that I'm able to stand upright in. Just a thought.

I hope this helps, thanks!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

@Peonygirl just a friendly heads-up that even though you posted this question on the "Ask an REI Employee" board, you may also get suggestions from other members of the community. Only posts from a user identified as an "REI Employee," "REI Community Moderator," and/or "REI Community Manager" should be regarded as employee advice!

Here are a few tents you might consider - they are 2-person so you'll have a little extra room, although several of these models also come in a 1-person, if you prefer a smaller size. Each of these comes with a full-coverage rainfly but also have lots of mesh for good sky-viewing on clear warm nights:

Hope this helps get you started!

0 Likes
Highlighted

California warnings - what a joke!  Just about everything is known to the state of California to cause the big "C".  I recently bought a trekking pole from REI - anodized aluminun, some nylon and plstic fittings, along with a prop 65 warning label.  I have no idea what substance they are talking about( nor do I care).

The warnings are so pervasive, they lose any mpact and are basically useless.

Rant off.  I feel so much better now....

0 Likes

I apologize for replying on this post. I did not notice the "ask an REI employee" label. This conversations site is a great resource. Thank you!

0 Likes

I'm not an REI employee, but I am a single woman that car camps on my own.

I have a very old REI trail dome 3 and love it! Easy set up with 3 poles and easy to put on the rain fly. Unfortunately this style is harder to find as most tents are with lots of mesh. My personal experience is that I prefer less mesh for more privacy, especially as a single woman traveling alone, giving me the ability to sleep comfortabally in clothing or not and get changed within the tent.

The specs show that it accommodates 3 people, but 2 has been really the max, especially when I use my extra large comfy therma-rest. I spent a week camping in one spot & it was perfect. 

Using the specs from the trail dome tent I continue my search for a new tent and am currently looking at

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/168422/alps-mountaineering-taurus-al-4-tent?bc_pid=MTY4NDIyMD...

Here are the specs for the trail dome 3. Good luck in your search.

REI Trail Dome 3 Specs

Best Use

Backpacking

Sleeping Capacity

3-person

Packed Size

8 x 22 inches

Floor Dimensions

97 x 110 (hex width) inches

Floor Area

56.6 square feet

Vestibule Area

6.3 square feet

Peak Height

54 inches

Number of Doors

1 door

Number of Poles

Pole Material

Aluminum

Pole Diameter

8.5 millimeters

Canopy Fabric

Nylon taffeta

Floor Fabric

Nylon taffeta

Rainfly Fabric

Polyester taffeta

Footprint Included

No

0 Likes

@BlueRidge no apology necessary! We welcome lots of responses, just want to make sure everyone knows when the advice is coming an REI employee!

Hi @Peonygirl,

I'm not an REI employee, but have purchased and used all manner of tents. Others have already said this, but the good news/bad news is that there are so many good choices these days. For this level of purchase, you really should visit a retail store and "test drive" several models. I personally own North Face, MSR and Eureka tents.  I've slept in Eureka tents for years in Scouting and found them to be  good quality at a fair price. Seems like the REI-branded models also present a solid value and have good reviews. Some of the "lighter-duty" NF and Marmot models also would be good options. Big Agnes are also great choices, but can be more pricey. A great online resource that I've frequently used is https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/.

The only other thing to mention is sizing. In general, how ever many people the tent advertises to sleep, subtract 1 if you want to stretch-out a bit and keep your gear inside. A 2-person tent will sleep 2 people, but they're usually touching shoulders/hips with little room for gear. For for a solo camper, a 2-person model might be a great choice without adding too much extra weight/cost.  Hope this helps.

0 Likes