Highlighted

tent camping near pittsburgh

Hi. First, let me say I'm a big fan of REI stores, products and service. That's why I'm reaching out to you. I'm moving to Pittsburgh soon, and I'm looking for places to tent camp near the city. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

- Mark

Re: tent camping near pittsburgh

Hey Mark,

I just moved to Pittsburgh last year. I haven't done much camping yet, but plan on doing a trip in October. I've been looking at Ohiopyle (Kentuck Campground), which is about 1.5 hours away. Also, there's Raccoon Creek State park, which is a smaller park, but does have camping available. There's also the Allegheny National Forest, which REI just had a campout event there. I'd sign up for the local newsletter to receive updates from them. 

Those are the only few places I know. Hope someone else can chime in with some tips and ideas!

Happy Camping!

Re: tent camping near pittsburgh

@markdseghers thanks so much for reaching out! This is exactly the kind of advice we were hoping folks would reach out to us for in this new community! So, we did a little crowd-sourcing with some of our Pittsburgh employees and here are the suggestions they have:

• Raccoon Creek State Park is probably the closest on the west side. The campsites are somewhat close together so you have to look around for the prime spots. The backpacking sites are a bit better, in our opinion! There are also cycling trails, backpacking trails, and a small lake for padlding and fishing.
  • To the southeast is the gem - Ohiopyle State Park. Good camping, backpacking, hiking, cycling, mountain biking, and Class V rapids for kayaking and shredders. Plus, beautiful overlooks!
  • Further out to the north is Moraine State Park. Decent car camping, trails and a large lake.
  • A bit further out of town is Allegheny National Forest - amazing camping next to small mountains and a dam. Great paddling, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking and road riding areas.
  • Three other possibilities that our team mentioned but didn't have as much personal experience with: Laurel Highlands, bike/hike-accessible campsites along the GAP trail, and Keystone State Park.

As always, don't hesitate to call or drop in (once you've arrived) to our local Pittsburgh REI stores and chat with them in person for more ideas and suggestions!

Last thing, even though you posted this question on the 'Ask an REI Employee' board, you may get responses from other community members. Just know that employees with show up with the title of REI Employee, REI Community Moderator, or REI Community Manager.

Happy Camping!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.