Swaping disk brake wheels?

Hi!

i want second pair of wheels with disk brakes (my bike specs allows to use 700 and 650)

I see that store sell you only wheels, what about disks? Are'n they attached to wheel?

Ideally, i just want 2 pairs that i can switch without any adjustments, rear one with it own cassette. 

So do i need to buy disk separatly? Or disks could easily swappped, without adjustments?

Would i have to adjust deralers each time i swap wheels?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Swaping disk brake wheels?

@dovid Hi! Thanks for the great questions! 

Disc rotors are sold individually or as part of the brake set, not as part of the wheel, so you'd need to purchase those separately. Disc rotors are not very easy to switch between wheel sets, so it's probably going to be easiest for your project to have a set of disc rotors for each set of wheels and leave them attached. Your local REI Co-op Shop can order those parts for you.

Derailleurs and disc brake systems are very sensitive to changes in spacing- although most wheel hubs are manufactured to about the same dimensions, there will be small differences in the spacing of the disc rotor and cassette between different brands and models of hub that can cause rubbing of the disc rotor and poor shifting. It's not likely that you'll be able to switch these wheelsets with no adjustment required.

The really good news is that those adjustments are generally really easy to make, once you have a little practice. I recommend checking with your local REI Co-op shop about disc brake and derailleur workshops offered there. You can let the person offering the workshop know what your goals are and they can help answer specific questions during the class. With those under your belt, these little adjustments when switching your wheelsets will take no time at all!

Hope you found this helpful! Happy riding!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

@dovid Hi! Thanks for the great questions! 

Disc rotors are sold individually or as part of the brake set, not as part of the wheel, so you'd need to purchase those separately. Disc rotors are not very easy to switch between wheel sets, so it's probably going to be easiest for your project to have a set of disc rotors for each set of wheels and leave them attached. Your local REI Co-op Shop can order those parts for you.

Derailleurs and disc brake systems are very sensitive to changes in spacing- although most wheel hubs are manufactured to about the same dimensions, there will be small differences in the spacing of the disc rotor and cassette between different brands and models of hub that can cause rubbing of the disc rotor and poor shifting. It's not likely that you'll be able to switch these wheelsets with no adjustment required.

The really good news is that those adjustments are generally really easy to make, once you have a little practice. I recommend checking with your local REI Co-op shop about disc brake and derailleur workshops offered there. You can let the person offering the workshop know what your goals are and they can help answer specific questions during the class. With those under your belt, these little adjustments when switching your wheelsets will take no time at all!

Hope you found this helpful! Happy riding!

Highlighted

Thank you! Now it is clear!

0 Likes

@dovid Hello there!  Great questions!  Here is what i can tell you...

Wheelsets do not come with discs attached since they are not a standard size for every bike.  You do have to buy them separately from the wheel to fit your specific bike.  The casette would also be sold separately.  As long as the new casette matches with the one on your current wheels, you would be able to swap wheels with no derraileurs adjustments required.

The discs are not something you would want to be swapping from wheelset to wheelset. Everytime you remove them and reinstall them there is a chance for the alignment to change which would cause brake rub resulting in the need for brake adjustments.

The discs on your bike currently will have a number stamped on them somewhere to tell you the size, typically 160mm or 180mm but there are many different sizes.  Just know that the front and back might be different sizes, so be sure to check both.  You can find out your the correct casette size by counting the amount of gears to determine the speed (10 chaninrings= 10 speed casette). Each gear will have the size stamped in it, and the size is usually listed by the smallest and biggest cogs, something like 11-34, 11 being the smallest 34 the biggest.

Hope this helps to answer most of your questions, but i understand if it created even a few more!  Feel free to call your local REI bike shop and speak with a technician who would be happy to explain even further!

Happy Trails!

0 Likes

I see you received another answer while i was writing!  Now you have two!  Happy riding!