Highlighted

Store opening in covid-19 time - why isn't REI requiring masks?

Hear you're considering opening stores widely in 2 weeks. (I live in northern California.)  As we all know, there have been many shops in our lifetime that have the 'no shoes, no shirt, no service' signs. In SoCal beach communities these were seen sometimes.

WHY is REI not taking a STRONGER position to REQUIRE CUSTOMER'S WEAR MASKS WHEN SHOPPING?

This is NOT a big imposition. Nor is it, as some are characterizing it, as 'control by the system, or restricting personal freedom.'  If someone chooses to not wear a mask, they can also choose to shop somewhere where sales profits trump common sense, decency and compassion.  Until there is a vaccine, honestly, we should not be in enclosed spaces without masks and distancing. I don't like this truth. Not at all. Summer time in California's central valley is HOT.  The word HERO is being used quite a lot recently.  How about we frame the idea, one aspect of being heroic is suffering the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask in social contact situations?  I've been a member for decades. I want to be well and want REI staff and other members to ALSO be well, for a long future.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Store opening in covid-19 time - why isn't REI requiring masks?

@surfdogs thanks so much for reaching out with your question and concern about our request, but not requirement, that masks be worn by customers as our stores reopen. One of the reasons we're happy to have this online community is our ability to hear directly from our members and customers, so we really appreciate you reaching out on this topic.

Your question is one that we considered very seriously as we established our protocols for reopening. We do believe our protocols are the best balance between employee and customer safety and aligning with federal and local guidelines, which vary by region. All employees will wear face coverings and face shields will be available for customers who request them, as is outlined in our health and safety standards.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured