Highlighted

Stop REI Boycotting Facebook Ads

I do not like seeing REI boycott Facebook ads for allowing hate speech. Sure this sounds awful to say. I certainly do not condone hate speech. But the alternative is you are requesting FB censorship by some arbitrary group pf people. How do you know they will censor what you believe is hate?

If this is conversation board is inappropriate for this discussion, please route me to the proper channel.

Free speech please, even if it hurts, because the alternative is worse.

-zane

Highlighted

Re: Stop REI Boycotting Facebook Ads

@zanemorris yes, this is an appropriate place for your post - one of the reasons we launched this online community is to provide our members and customers a place to (constructively) share their thoughts, concerns, ideas, feedback, suggestions and kudos directly with the co-op. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

I'm a 30 year REI member.  I'm prior military and part time LEO. I'd like to know exactly what the REI corporate statement is regarding this issue.  Can't find anything.  Additionally has REI made a financial contribution to BLM?  If this is the case I will cancel my membership effective immediately.  Go Woke, Go Broke. Has REI made a business decision to otricize half country?  I'm sure others would like to know.  

Highlighted

@flymiester we weren't sure which statement you were looking for so here are a couple related to your question:

• You can read our statement about our support for #BlackLivesMatter here and how to support organizations working toward a more inclusive outdoor community here.
  • In addition, last week we announced on Twitter: For 82 years, we have put people over profits. We're pulling all Facebook/Instagram advertising for the month of July. #StopHateForProfit. Learn more at stophateforprofit.org.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

How has REI been so credulously sucked into supporting censorship on Facebook? Censorship and power is what "stop hate for profit" is all about. Facebook already removes content that supports violence and explicit hate speech. 

Highlighted

Hmm.  This seems more like cheap PR for profit and we see through you virtue signaling.

0 Likes
Highlighted

What a chicken**bleep** response.  You guys didn't donate to the cause, you spat some babbling corporate nonsense out for "solidarity".  Like most corporations you don't care, you're doing everything as a PR stunt and pulling advertising from Facebook because they wont "censor" other people's thoughts is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  Why don't you boycott your Chinese manufacturing?  Oh yeah, it's because you value your profits over everything.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

I don't like the idea of boycotting companies you don't agree with politically, but if one company starts doing it to another company.....then we're kinda forced to choose sides.  In this case I side with free speech.  This censoring, shouting down your opponents, cancel culture and threats from the left has got to to stop!  It's tearing our country apart.  So I guess I'll be calling for anyone I have influence over to boycott REI as long they continue to help push us down this slippery slope.

Highlighted

I agree and will no longer purchase from REI.

I guess I'm late to this party, what's the issue?

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Featured