Highlighted

Stewarding the co-op through unprecedented times

I just read Eric Artz' post regarding the current status of the company, the care and welfare of the employees, and the sacrifice that he and the board members are taking during these days under the umbrella of the Corona-virus.  I, being of Irish descent, don't typically reveal my emotions to a wide group of unknown folks like yourself that may be reading this; I prefer to keep it bottled up and let it burst out at a more private moment.  But I was quite moved and inspired by what Mr. Artz wrote and it got to me thinking:  I'd be the first one to directly grant 50% of my dividends, in cash or similar currency, to those employees that have been affected by the temporary layoff.  If Mr. Artz and his staff can figure out how to arrange this, then I, and many of us of like-minded compassion, would look forward to help those who help us during our needs of their assistance, expertise and genuine desire to help us gain a grand experience we all call the great outdoors.  I hope that the next email that Mr. Artz puts forth instructs us how to do this, and then I hope you will all join me in helping those who have helped us over the years and decades. We are all in this together, some more than others.

Pax,

Peter Fitzpatrick

Re: Stewarding the co-op through unprecedented times

Good idea.  Count me in.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@hikermor thank you.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@PeterFitz59 

Peter,

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you.

John

0 Likes
Highlighted

Peter, about donating our dividends, I think it's a great idea.  I'd do the same.  The IT staff could make a web form where each coop member could designate that their dividend should go towards helping REI staff through these challenging times.  I'd also hope that the headquarters workforce who were let go could be helped in a similar way.

Highlighted

@axman thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@PeterFitz59 words cannot describe how grateful we are for this post, both the sentiment and generosity contained within. Thank you. We will, absolutely, pass your words along to Eric and the rest of our Senior Leaders.

0 Likes
Featured