Highlighted

Ski sizing

I am currently shopping for skis, I have been renting them for the past five years and this year I am deciding to make the big purchase. I am 5ft tall, 140lb women and I am unsure what length I should purchase. I am an intermediate skier who sticks to mostly blue diamond and black diamond runs. 

I was under the impression that a 150cm ski would be a good fit. What the advantages/disadvantages to shorter/longer skis? What length do you feel would be best suited to my stature? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Ski sizing

Hello there! @Lmarquez 

Your initial instincts with 150 is correct!  That would be a good length for you but it would depend a bit on where you are skiing. For example 143-147 for East Coast "groomers", 145-150 for all mountain, 147-153 for powder. Pay attention to the waist width also. You should be looking for something around 88mm for East Coast, 92mm All-mountain, and 110 for powder. I would say 147-150 with a 92mm width would be the most versatile all around ski for you based off the details you provided.

In general a longer ski is more stable in turns at speed, and a shorter ski will make smaller tighter turns, and move a bit slower with less float. Intermediate-Advanced skiers usually ski something longer, it will perform better and give you more room to improve your techniques.

Hope this helps and you enjoy shredding this year!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Featured