Highlighted

REI Jacket String

Hello -

I have an REI Down Jacket.  It has a string that runs around the bottom to close it off.  I never used it before, but it got pulled somehow and now I don't know how to put it hack?  I attached a picture to show what I mean:

[url=https://postimg.cc/TyzzRsrT][img]https://i.postimg.cc/TyzzRsrT/JA.jpg[/img][/url]

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: REI Jacket String

@Elzar Thanks for reaching out!

I'm sorry that you're having this issue with your jacket! Based on what I can see from the picture, it looks as though both ends of the drawstring have come off from inside the jacket. Is that the case or are they still attached (sewn in) to the ends? Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to fix that as it needs to be re-threaded and then potentially sewn back into the jacket. You should be able to slowly re-thread the drawstring back into the jacket but it will be a slow process. It is a bit hard to tell from the photo if the drawstring has come off or just stretched out to the point of losing its elasticity. If you could provide a little more detail that would be helpful in determining the best course of action. 

I hope this helps, if you'd like to provide a bit more information about the drawstring we may be able to brainstorm some other solutions. Thanks and have a great day!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks John.  I appreciate the help.  It feels like they're just stretched and still sewn into the end.  I can feel it in the jack and when you pull on it, the end moves.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Elzar You're welcome!

Thank you for the additional detail, that definitely helps guide my thinking! At this point you've got a couple of options:

1) You could take your jacket to a tailor and have it professionally repaired. If you have a tailor in your community that is familiar with outdoor gear that would be ideal. You'll need some thin shock cord to replace the drawstring. You will also want to make sure you talk through the issue in detail (be sure to mention the jacket is filled with down!) so they fully understand what you're looking for in the fix.

2) Because you said it was not a feature you have not used before, you could just adapt the drawstring to be out of your way. It would eliminate your ability to use it in the same way, but if it isn't something you're using anyway that might be a quick fix. Basically, this would involve feeding the 'extra' drawstring through the toggle, tying it with an overhand knot on a bight (here's an instruction video for that knot, it's a knot I'm sure you're familiar with but most people don't know it's name) trying to keep the knot as close to the toggle as you can, and then simply cutting the excess drawstring off with scissors. That should allow you to use the jacket without long loops of extra drawstring hanging down!

Thanks for your question and for being a customer of REI. I hope this helps, have a great day!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured