Highlighted

REI Credit Card Concern

I was checking out credit cards and noticed that currently the REI Credit Card is underwritten by US Bank, which funds pipelines and fossil fuel based projects.  I hope that REI can find a better provider that is in line with trying to mitigate the climate emergency, and also more in line with preserving the planet and REI values.

Would love to hear REI position on this choice and future plans to change.

Warm Regards, Joe   

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: REI Credit Card Concern

@Joe one of the reasons we are excited about this community is our ability to hear directly from our members with their questions, concerns, suggestions and feedback. We appreciate you reaching out about our relationship with US Bank. As you may know, REI has a longstanding and broad commitment to stewarding the outdoors and the environment – if you’re interested in learning more, please visit our Stewardship Report which covers the breadth of our work, including our investment of millions of dollars each year in more than 430 nonprofits that protect the outdoors. That includes $1 million donated to the National Forest Foundation from the REI Co-op Mastercard.

In terms of our work with US Bank and this topic specifically, please know that we have work underway. Initially, we met with the bank’s senior leaders, members of our community, and our board of directors, which led us to engage an external consultant to look more closely at environmental, social, and governance (ESG) best practices for the financial services sector. We’re using that work to support conversations with our service providers and guide future decisions as contracts come up for renewal.

Thank you, again, for your feedback - it helps us to form a full picture in providing the highest quality service.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Hi Joe, I think I agree with your premise but the statement is pretty broad.  Not all pipelines and fossil fuel projects are evil!  I for one am glad natural gas and water are delivered to my house.  I also need gas tor my car.

Agree with Philreedhikes.  Realistically, we still need fossil fuel, at least for the immediate future.  Perhaps you can suggest  a better underwriter?  Please do so...

@Joe one of the reasons we are excited about this community is our ability to hear directly from our members with their questions, concerns, suggestions and feedback. We appreciate you reaching out about our relationship with US Bank. As you may know, REI has a longstanding and broad commitment to stewarding the outdoors and the environment – if you’re interested in learning more, please visit our Stewardship Report which covers the breadth of our work, including our investment of millions of dollars each year in more than 430 nonprofits that protect the outdoors. That includes $1 million donated to the National Forest Foundation from the REI Co-op Mastercard.

In terms of our work with US Bank and this topic specifically, please know that we have work underway. Initially, we met with the bank’s senior leaders, members of our community, and our board of directors, which led us to engage an external consultant to look more closely at environmental, social, and governance (ESG) best practices for the financial services sector. We’re using that work to support conversations with our service providers and guide future decisions as contracts come up for renewal.

Thank you, again, for your feedback - it helps us to form a full picture in providing the highest quality service.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.