Highlighted

REI Co-op Commitments in the Fight for Racial Equity

We’re committed to racial equity and the profound work that is ahead—for ourselves, for the outdoors and for our society. This is just a portion of our plan. Read our full statement to learn more about our approach to this important work.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: REI Co-op Commitments in the Fight for Racial Equity

If you are so socially conscious, then why are you firing long time employees on the day they are eligible to be fully vested (15 years of service) on the day they are eligible. Your corporate management needs to conduct a serious review of this practice and be prepared to have it exposed on social media. As an REI member for close to 30 years and a former employee, I am very disappointed in this behavior. You betray your public image in a time when the nation is in a pandemic. 

Highlighted

@1Usadojace Please furnish more specific details.  As a long term REI member, I am interested in learning more.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@1Usadojace I note no response after 24 hours to an honest attempt to gather pertinent details. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I agree. They promote an image that their management is failing to live up to. It’s really disappointing. I know that they fired at least three long term employees in their Tustin store for nothing pertaining to performance but specifically due to their seniority. So  how easy is it going for these individuals going to find another job in a pandemic? I guess they can take Ivanka Trump’s advice and learn something new, like promoting Goya Beans. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I didn’t know there was a 24 hour limit to satisfying your desire for “pertinent details”. Guess what? Reality is not dictated by your time limits. Here’s a suggestion. Do your own research and be informed.

0 Likes
Highlighted

1. Sad, but true my friend. It’s one of a number of problems that are being exposed by REI employees on social and elsewhere, as well as by a writer at the New York Times who wrote a pretty damning story about the company’s lackadaisical response to employee Covid exposure In at least three of its stores. I have loved REI for as long as I can remember, but something is clearly wrong at the store management level in terms of how it’s dealing with its long term, dedicated employees With respect to retention, benefits, etc.. If you do your own research, you may not like what you find. Best wishes.
0 Likes
Highlighted

What you have here is a board (members) trying to virtue signal thus making them feel good about themselves. "Maslow’s hierarchy of needs". REI, you should stay out of politics and if you don't think BLM is political then you are very naive. I'm guessing a very naive board. Seattle based, hmm, coincidence? I've been a member for 36 years and do not appreciate your views and I'm sure many members do not. Yes, of course, we are all for racial equality but disagree on how or how much more needs to be done. Is affirmative action now being instituted at REI? Are you admitting you were a racist company but now you will change? Do black people really need REI to get them jobs and get them to the outdoors? Pretty condensing if you asked me.

When you took your anti-2nd amendment stance I knew something was up.

0 Likes
Highlighted

There seems to be a lot of negative blow-back at REI for posturing and not living up to the ideals promoted by these types of statements.  Pay attention to concerns from indigenous people, women, black people and your employees.  Do better.

~A concerned member

Featured