Highlighted

recommendations on easy, 'pop-up' tent for camping

I plan on doing a road trip this summer, and plan to car camp along the way. I have a few tents, but they all take quite a bit to set up - not impossible, but more difficult for just one person.

I was just looking online and I see a couple of 'pop-up' or 'instant' tents, which they claim are really easy for just one person to set up i a few minutes.

I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for this type of tent, either from REI or somewhere else. I is just for one person, but I'd like a bit of room for a cot (not sleeping on the ground).

Some tents I've seen mentioned are Hewolf Instant Pop-up ($81), Gazelle 22272-T4 ($390), and Sartneer Instant Pop-up. Quite a range in price, though I know nothing about any of these.

Kind regards, David.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: recommendations on easy, 'pop-up' tent for camping

@freedda Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately, REI does not carry any 'pop-up' style tents. However, we do carry a couple of 4-person styles that are pretty simple to set up. Check these out:

Both of these tents have symmetrical poles so they are very easy to set up, even for one person! They are also big enough that you could get a cot inside and have a little bit of room to move around. Perhaps another user in the community can weigh in here who has experience using one of the 'pop-up' style tents.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks John. What do you mean by 'symmetrical poles'? I have a few tents now where I 'unfold' the tent poles and then 'run' them through eye-lets on the tent .... Sort of the standard way tents get set up - at least as of a few years ago!

And is there any particular reason you don't carry the 'pop-up' type tents?

Highlighted

@freedda Good question!

'Symmetrical' meaning that both poles are the same so you don't have to worry about mixing them up. It's pretty standard for a 'dome-style' tent, but there are a lot of variations in tent pole structures now that can get pretty confusing sometimes!

John

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks. I think one of my tents is a Kelty. Since I'm car camping I suppose I could keep the poles in the eye-lets, making it that much easier to set up when I need to.

And maybe you missing it - any particular reason REI doen'st carry these types of tents?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@freedda 

I apologize, I did miss that question. I'll have to check in with our product team on that one, I'll reach out to them and get back to you!

John

0 Likes
Featured