Highlighted

Recommendation for the quietest bicycle trainer for apartments?

Greetings,

I've always wanted to get an indoor trainer for my road bike but am worried about noise and vibration in my apartment, which is not well insulated against noise. Does REI sell any trainers that with absolutely minimal possibility of angry neighbor disruption, or is there no such thing?

Your assistance and expertise is appreciated!

-C

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Quietest bicycle trainer for apartments?

Hi @cocotypo great question! I usually recommend a fluid trainer if you want something quiet but also stay in a price point below $500. If you are looking for something even quieter, with additional functionality (i.e. smart features like connecting to a computer for zwift and strava to save ride metrics or do virtual rides) you can look at a direct drive trainer like the Wahoo Kickr Smart bike trainer.

As a side note, make sure to put down a mat of some sort under the bike, as you will tend to sweat much more with no wind to cool you down. I'd also recommend giving the bike a good wipe down afterwards as it will get covered in sweat too. 

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Hello @cocotypo.  I will add to what Jim has already said.  Whatever trainer you go with you will want to use a mat under it.

One of the  quietest trainers that we carry is the Wahoo Kickr Core. When set up correctly most of what you hear is your chain/ drivetrain.  

Hopefully you can build a set up that allows you to get the riding that you want in and not irritate your neighbors.

Highlighted

Hi @cocotypo great question! I usually recommend a fluid trainer if you want something quiet but also stay in a price point below $500. If you are looking for something even quieter, with additional functionality (i.e. smart features like connecting to a computer for zwift and strava to save ride metrics or do virtual rides) you can look at a direct drive trainer like the Wahoo Kickr Smart bike trainer.

As a side note, make sure to put down a mat of some sort under the bike, as you will tend to sweat much more with no wind to cool you down. I'd also recommend giving the bike a good wipe down afterwards as it will get covered in sweat too. 

Hope this helps!

Highlighted

Hello @cocotypo.  I will add to what Jim has already said.  Whatever trainer you go with you will want to use a mat under it.

One of the  quietest trainers that we carry is the Wahoo Kickr Core. When set up correctly most of what you hear is your chain/ drivetrain.  

Hopefully you can build a set up that allows you to get the riding that you want in and not irritate your neighbors.

Highlighted

Re: Recommendation for the quietest bicycle trainer for apartments?

Thanks @REI-JimL  & @REI-GregM for the great info.

Any recommendations for a mat to go under the bike?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Recommendation for the quietest bicycle trainer for apartments?

Hi @cocotypo I'd recommend you look at the Wahoo Kickr trainer floormat they are also made by several other companies too, like saris. 

One more suggestion, get a front wheel block as well. This little piece of gear may look unessential, but it keeps your front wheel elevated and the bike level since the rear wheel is on or replaced by the trainer. If you don't use one, you will find yourself sliding forward or putting more pressure on your hands. It definitely makes for a more comfortable experience. 

Happy (stationary) riding! 

Jim

Featured