Highlighted

Not sure what section to put this in.

I don’t have a dog, don’t have a van, and I don’t identify as female, so I figured I’d put this here until there is a forum for “Solo Outdoor Adventures”

What are some trials and tribulations you’ve gone through as a result of going solo on a trip? Sometimes the solitude of the outdoors is best experiences alone. Eating cheese alone in a tent during a thunderstorm or enjoying a scenic payoff on a long hike is all well and good, but what do you do when it’s the end of the day, it’s too dark to read, and you get a bit bored?

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Highlighted

Re: Not sure what section to put this in.

@Bonfire thanks for the suggestion of a "solo adventurer" board!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@REI-JenK So will it happen? 🙂

@REI-TaylorH Solitaire is actually a great idea. Do they make glow in the dark cards, because if they don't that's a missed opportunity. 

I guess I should really be packing a harmonica too. Solo may be the only time that it would be appreciated. 😛

Highlighted

I love to read a book even after dark, I just bring a rechargeable headlamp with me. I also like to play solitaire. In the dark I enjoy stargazing. If I am not concerned about weight I will bring a small pair of binoculars with me and test out my constellation identification!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@Bonfire  Make a nice little fire (if allowable) - read a book, carve fun things (spoon, neat designs into a hiking stick, etc), admire the constellations (bring a star chart), draw or write about your adventures, write letters to folks you have been meaning to visit with (I think many folks still appreciate a good old snail mailed letter). If all else fails, perhaps it's time for sleep 🙂

Highlighted

@Lauren Writing letters is a great idea!!!

Highlighted

Well, as others have pointed out, a small light (especially a red one for keeping night vision) can let you read, play, craft, etc. until you're tired enough for sleep.

That said, don't undersell boredom. Simply letting your mind wander in the natural world is often underrated. I think that sometimes, you're only bored if you think you're bored, y'know?

I love my alone time, (and I'm tall and male and lucky,) so I've never had any significant tribulations in solo outdoors time. A friend tried to solo the AT and started hallucinating after a month of it, though, so i don't by any means judge anyone for their socialness prreferences.

Highlighted

@Bonfire Astrophotography is a great way to capture a different side of the scenery in your favorite outdoor places!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Featured