Highlighted

Mt Kenya Sleeping Bag

Hello!

I'm in the market for a new sleeping bag.

Im going to be doing a 5 day Mt Kenya Hike in February 2020. On multiple packing lists, I've seen a suggested bag rating around 0 - negative 5 Celsius. It looks like temperatures can be as low as low as -15 or even -20 degrees Celsius during the night before the final ascent. 

Do you have any good suggestions for bags that will fit this scenario? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Mt Kenya Sleeping Bag

Hi @DrewB  we can absolutely help you out with that!

When it comes to cold weather sleeping bags, we have lots to offer! There's a few options to consider when making a selection; weight, compress-ability, and comfort. Generally speaking, the more wiggle room you have to toss and turn in your sleep, the larger and less compressible the bag will be.

If you don't mind a little extra weight and like to be able to kick your legs around a little bit, I would consider looking at Nemo Sonic bag.

If space saving and minimalism is what your searching for the Big Agnes Crosho and the Therm-a-Rest Polar Ranger are great options.

All of these bags are lower limit rated to -20. Meaning that they'll keep you comfortable down to -4 degrees Fahrenheit and safe, albeit chilly, down to -20 degrees. 

Hope these start you off in the right direction, have an amazing adventure!

Katie 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@DrewB Thanks for reaching out!

This sounds like a lifetime adventure, what an incredible opportunity! @REI-KatieK has you on the right track with a few of our options. We have many sleeping bags that will fit the bill in terms of temperature rating, if you'd like to see them all you can take a look here. The temperature rating for a sleeping bag is a great place to start, however there are many factors that determine a good nights sleep. We have a couple of Expert Advice articles that would be helpful to read and you may pick up some other tips for sleeping in the cold. How to choose the best sleeping bag and winter camping basics are full of really useful information about sleeping bags and sleeping in the cold.

In terms of options for a sleeping bag that fits in your temperature range, I have used the REI Co-op Down Time 0 Degree sleeping bag in temperatures down to -10º F and been plenty warm. I do tend to run warm, however, so you'll want to think about your own metabolism and whether you run warm or cold. The North Face One Bag sleeping bag and the Marmot Wind River 10 sleeping bag are both options that should work in the conditions you will be facing.

When sleeping in temperatures that low, it is critical to make sure you are warm before you get in your sleeping bag. Jumping jacks, sit ups, or a short brisk walk around the tent will raise your heart rate and help warm your sleeping bag up. Additionally, a well placed warm water bottle (in your armpit or between your legs) can help warm up your blood as it reaches your hands and feet, helping to keep them warm.

I hope this helps, have an awesome trip!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Hi @DrewB  we can absolutely help you out with that!

When it comes to cold weather sleeping bags, we have lots to offer! There's a few options to consider when making a selection; weight, compress-ability, and comfort. Generally speaking, the more wiggle room you have to toss and turn in your sleep, the larger and less compressible the bag will be.

If you don't mind a little extra weight and like to be able to kick your legs around a little bit, I would consider looking at Nemo Sonic bag.

If space saving and minimalism is what your searching for the Big Agnes Crosho and the Therm-a-Rest Polar Ranger are great options.

All of these bags are lower limit rated to -20. Meaning that they'll keep you comfortable down to -4 degrees Fahrenheit and safe, albeit chilly, down to -20 degrees. 

Hope these start you off in the right direction, have an amazing adventure!

Katie 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

I'm not an REI Employee, and wouldn't second-guess any recommendations from @REI-KatieK , but just wanted to throw in that you should also consider a good, insulated sleeping pad as part of your cold-weather sleep system.  

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Highlighted

@DrewB Thanks for reaching out!

This sounds like a lifetime adventure, what an incredible opportunity! @REI-KatieK has you on the right track with a few of our options. We have many sleeping bags that will fit the bill in terms of temperature rating, if you'd like to see them all you can take a look here. The temperature rating for a sleeping bag is a great place to start, however there are many factors that determine a good nights sleep. We have a couple of Expert Advice articles that would be helpful to read and you may pick up some other tips for sleeping in the cold. How to choose the best sleeping bag and winter camping basics are full of really useful information about sleeping bags and sleeping in the cold.

In terms of options for a sleeping bag that fits in your temperature range, I have used the REI Co-op Down Time 0 Degree sleeping bag in temperatures down to -10º F and been plenty warm. I do tend to run warm, however, so you'll want to think about your own metabolism and whether you run warm or cold. The North Face One Bag sleeping bag and the Marmot Wind River 10 sleeping bag are both options that should work in the conditions you will be facing.

When sleeping in temperatures that low, it is critical to make sure you are warm before you get in your sleeping bag. Jumping jacks, sit ups, or a short brisk walk around the tent will raise your heart rate and help warm your sleeping bag up. Additionally, a well placed warm water bottle (in your armpit or between your legs) can help warm up your blood as it reaches your hands and feet, helping to keep them warm.

I hope this helps, have an awesome trip!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Featured