Highlighted

Mountain Summit Gear 750 lumen flashlight Item #891433 (now discontinued)

I bought one of these flashlights and when I opened it to replace the batteries the switch system came apart into it's component parts.  For the life of me I can not put it back together so it will work.  I took it to the local REI store but no one there could put it back together again either.  It isn't broken.  It's a matter of putting the parts together in the right order.  I'm hoping someone can help me.  Mountain Summit flashlight parts.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Mountain Summit Gear 750 lumen flashlight Item #891433 (now discontinued)

Your best bet would be to obtain a more reliable light - REI and other reputable retailer have many (Petzl, Black Diamond, Fenix, Nitecore, etc).  They won't fall apart when you open them.  Actually I would suggest a headlamp, rather than a flashlight - more versatile.

0 Likes
Highlighted

For my outdoor activities I have other flashlights and headlamps.  I have 2 ALPS headlamps, a Black Diamond, and an old REI headlamp and 3 small LED flashlights.  The Mountain Summit Gear flashlight is a good flashlight around the house and worked fine.  I just need to find out how those 4 parts fit together.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@longtimealaskan Thanks for reaching out and we're sorry you're having this issue with your flashlight. Unfortunately, this is a really challenging question to solve without having the item in front of us. Take a look at this YouTube video of someone replacing the pieces in their flashlight, it's not exactly the same but may give you some idea of how the pieces work together. If that doesn't help, we recommend reaching out to Mountain Summit Gear directly to see if they have a solution for you. 

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi John,

I have contacted Mountain Summit Gear 3 times for help.  They acknowledge receiving my email and say they will get back to me.  Unfortunately they do not specify which decade they will respond.  They claim to have a 5 star Customer Service, yet no one responds to questions or offers help.  Mountain Summit Gear makes gear that falls apart and they have a Customer Service Department that does nothing to deal with problem issues.  In theory one of their tech people or engineers could answer my question in one or two minutes.  I guess the lack of response shows how much they value their customers once they have your money.  I recommend that REI stop carrying their products.  REI is noted for carrying quality equipment.  Mountain Summit Gear equipment does not belong at REI.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@longtimealaskan 

Thanks for circling back with us here in the community, your feedback is appreciated. 

Can you provide a few more details? Does the 'button' on the flashlight have a rubber cover? Can you send a photo of the other side of piece #1? I watched a few other videos and took a look at a somewhat similar flashlight that I have and my first guess for how the pieces assemble is:

Piece #2 fits through the hole in piece #3.

Piece #1 fits over that inside piece #3, with the white button facing up (opposite of piece #2).

That whole assembly fits in the un-numbered unit at the top of the picture, with piece #2 going in first. The spring fits over the white button and against the battery case.

Let me know if that works and I'll see what else I can find out. Thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi John,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was out of town for a week.

The flashlight has a rubber button to push for on and off.  I've included a photo that shows both sides of pieces #1 and #2.  

I tried your suggestions but didn't get the flashlight to work.  What do I do with the 2 metal flanges on piece #1?  One of them has to touch the metal part of the flashlight and the other has to touch the battery case.  And how do I fit the spring over the white button?  It might fit but it would be tight and difficult to get it to fit.

0 Likes
Featured