Highlighted

Re: Join #StopHateForProfit and cease advertising on Facebook

This is freedom of speech being erased! My family and I love REI; however, the word is getting around REI is supporting censorship resulting in many people boycotting REI.  This is a sad day.  I wish Rei would stand up for the people and the right to say what they want- it is literally a constitutional right! Rei did not have to do anything except continue to bring a great product and fantastic customer service, now they have alienated at least Half of their customers!  Time for REI to stop playing politics and opt outdoors! Get it together REI - Don’t take a knee here Stand up for the rights of all citizens! 

@REI_Co-op So does that mean that folks who dont think the way it's "correct" to think aren't welcome as members?

Highlighted

I believe that was sent in response to the person who asked how they can cancel their membership.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I am a member for over 20 years and I feel betrayed today. REI is joining the wave of forces to censor people we disagree with. I feel REI, like anyone else, should debate not boycott. For the first time after more than 20 years I am ashamed to be part of the REI co-op.

Highlighted

"Nothing else in the world smells like that.

I love the smell of censorship in the morning."

Highlighted

I grew up in Seattle patronizing the flagship store, and now live in Alaska spending much my time in the most beautiful outdoors on earth. Now that I make more money than I did in college, I have made a conscious effort to support REI (and other brick and mortar retailers who have invested in my community) with my dollars rather than comparison shopping online to save a few bucks. Unfortunately it now seems if I don't have the 'correct' politics, REI does not believe I should be entitled to civil rights online. I'd rather not pay extra to have that money funding a politically biased censorship campaign (or any political activity for that matter).

Please leave the politics behind and just go back to delivering excellent products and great customer service to everyone. The great outdoors belong to everyone equally regardless of race, creed, or political party and I sincerely hope REI will be there to help them all enjoy it equally. #StopVirtueSignalingForProfit

Highlighted

REI is not imposing censorship on anyone or on Facebook.  It is simply declaring that Facebook needs to reign in misinformation activity on its site that REI does not agree with or REI will withdraw advertising dollars from Facebook.  That is clearly not censorship but it is the right of REI to spend its advertising dollars in the manor it chooses.  Simply because one decides to restrict spending dollars with another business because one does not agree with the manor is which that business is managed does not constitute censorship.  It constitutes disapproval of how the business is being conducted.  REI has no power over Facebook to censor anything on Facebook.

Rei will continue to deliver excellent products and great customer service to all its members and customers.

Highlighted

Someone needs to revisit Voltaire.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thank you so much for your support of Stop Hate For Profit. I, too, am boycotting Facebook and Instagram.  Your voice and dollars mean so much more to the cause. I am hoping to see changes so that we can once again enjoy social media. I will be using my dollars to support REI in the future for sure.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I know right, just the flood of blatantly racist posts of facebook is becoming a problem. Why just yesterday I saw someone say "I disagree with a Marxist organization disguising itself as an organization for black people" The nerve. That is basically equivalent to the **bleep** burning down minority owned businesses and ransacking an REI in Santa Monica.

Featured