cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
COVID-19 UPDATE. REI stores are temporarily closed. Learn more about orders or returns. Free U.S. standard shipping during this time. Details
Highlighted

Gear Advice: Sizing on women's biking shoes

Hi, I am considering a pair of Garneau women's biking shoes that are on sale. I wear a women's 8 and in athletic shoes, I often take an 8 1/2 for socks. I know this is a European brand and I have read that the sizing can be really off for Americans. Should I

try a 39? Thanks! Patricia Mulcahy

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Sizing on women's biking shoes

Hi @patti718, great question and a tricky one to boot! You are correct that the closest approximation to an 8 or 8.5 in American sizing is a 39, so great job there. The difference in sizing for most American sizes is literally 10ths of an inch. A size 39 should give you some room for error.

Also remember (and maybe you already know) that cycling shoes tend to run pretty narrow so as not to strike the crank arm of the bike when you are pedaling. So oftentimes they can feel a little tight in the width department.

The other factor is that all shoe brands use different lasts, so a 39 in a Garneau may fit slightly different than a Pearl Izumi, for example.

And of course, once we re-open our stores, you can pop into your local REI and get some help with the fits on these shoes or any other bike shoes.

Hope this helps and happy biking!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes