cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas leakage MSR Pocketrocket 2 Stove / Canister

Hi.  I just bought a Pocket Rocket 2 and a MSR 4oz gas canister.  I just tested it out before going to Glacier National Park next week.  When I attached and detached the canister a couple of times there was some gas leakage each time (while I was screwing the canister on and unscrewing it).  I live at 4,000 feet.  Is this normal?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Gas leakage MSR Pocketrocket 2 Stove / Canister

Howdy @Tonydavid. Thanks for your question... while I'm not an MSR engineer I have used these canisters for 20 or so years. What you're describing could be normal (a little gas escaping before the valve closes) or a "leaky valve."  Every once and a while (very rare) I've seen a "leaky valve" in a canister. It's usually an old canister that might have a little dirt/debris that has fallen into that small hole while in my pack or storage. Now I always try to put that cap on to prevent any contamination.  I live at 5000 feet so I don't think it's an "altitude thing." You might try submerging the canister under water to see if the valve is continuously leaking. If not, you could compare to a new canister to guage if the fuel loss is noticibly more dramatic. Happy Trails! 

-Jason O

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Even at lower altitudes, I always hear a little "hiss" when connecting and disconecting the stove and cannister. I think it is normal. I agree with REI Jason0 about using the plastic cap to cover the valve during transportation and storage and about how to test for leakage.

0 Likes

John and Jason....thanks for the replies. This was not little hiss but liquid coming out onto my hands. 

0 Likes

Howdy @Tonydavid Thanks for the clarifications. It sounds like some more troubleshooting is required as what you described seems "not normal." I'd suggest trying a new canister at this point. From there, perhaps a stove issue. Super hard to diagnose with you digitally. Please don't hesitate to drop into an REI store for an in-person evaluation!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes