Highlighted

Free Return Shipping

If I understand REI’s return policy correctly a shipping charge will be subtracted from the return amount even if the item was damaged during shipping. If this is correct why can’t REI make an exception to its policy during this time of store closure or, in the case of oversized items make exceptions to in-store returns? I bought a bike on April 22, it was delivered on May 13 with damaged forks making the bike unrideable. Since I didn’t feel like waiting several more weeks for another bike or repair I bought one at a local bike shop. I’ve been holding off paying the charge on my credit card as I’m not paying interest yet though my time is quickly running out. I can understand telling people to please wait until stores open for normal returns but for damaged, unusable items, especially oversized, I think a process could easily be set up to drop off a return at a local store.

Highlighted

Re: Free Return Shipping

@Rognperly Thank you for reaching out.

We are sorry that your bike arrived damaged. Have you reached out to speak with someone on our Sales and Customer Service team? They are best equipped to talk you through your options in regards to processing a return. They can be reached at 1-800-426-4840 or via Live Chat. Given call volumes at this time, wait times are longer than we would like them to be. We appreciate your patience in advance.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Actually I did call customer service right after I received the bike. Since returning to the store was not an option I was told I could ship it back but at my expense. The next morning I called a local store and talked with the bike repair guys. He asked me to send home an email with pics of the issue which I did. While waiting for a reply I found a local shop with the same bike in stock and decided to buy it rather than waiting any longer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Within a few days of this conversation I received an email from REI customer service along with a prepaid shipping label to send my bike back. I appreciate REI doing this and shows customer service at some companies is still a priority. Thank you!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

no kidding! Lucky.  I had to drive 30miles, one way, to my store (VA Beach), to return a pair of pants.  But their little scheme worked, I wonld up buying another pair, and more expensive, they got me again

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Our local stores are still closed to in-store returns. I received the bike on May 13th and the forks were either bent or not aligned correctly. Either way the bike was unrideable. Initially I was told I would have to wait for the stores to open or pay to ship it back. I believe my initial comment 2 weeks ago spurred their providing free shipping back. I had a $2800 change sitting on my credit card. For me, REI came through like I was hoping.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Rognperly we're really glad to hear this worked out, thanks for letting us know!

Highlighted

@Rognperly  no kidding!  I just received a pair of hiking pants that failed to mention they are worse than 'skinny jeans'...now I have $70 on my credit card, until I can return them in person so I don't get stuck with the $8.95 return by mail charge.  Extremely frustrating since this doesn't happen at many of the competition.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

I’ve been following this thread 

I have almost $500 worth of returns but I won’t send my items back with a charge so I’ve been sitting with these charges until a store opens ..which will be when??

i believe in REI but if I can curbside pickup why can’t I curbside drop off /return?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Cat2 which local store do you normally shop at? We have reopened a number of our stores for in-store shopping and returns over the last 2 weeks, and have a big wave planned to reopen over the next 2 weeks. We're sorry for the delay in being able to process returns.

0 Likes
Featured