Highlighted

Re: Eric Artz: Reopening Our Stores

@Steven970 as you might imagine, this situation is rapidly evolving all across the country and we are taking a phased approach to how, when, and where we reopen for business. We are now offering curbside pick-up and zero-contact shop services in many of our stores, with a plan to continue to expand these services nationwide.

One of the main reasons we don't share what's coming in the future is how variable the situation is and the possibility that things could change at the last minute. We apologize if this seems secretive; instead, we want to minimize the additional confusion and frustration a last-minute change could cause. We are making daily updates to our local store pages and will keep the FAQs here in the community updated as well.

We do not yet have an update to share on curbside returns and exchanges; as we mention in our FAQs, these services are more complex and create additional risk and as we roll out new services, we continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees and our customers.

Thank you for continuing to bring your concerns to our attention.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

I purchased a bike on 3/7/2020 at a Massachusetts' REI, bike experts were in the middle of inspection and had to replace a component on the bike before handing it over, unfortunately this happened right before the closure and my bike has been "held hostage" since. I know you guys are opening in phases, but do you have a rough estimate of when I can contact someone at the Reading location about this?

Highlighted

@narinkhem_23 we are so sorry for this extended delay and also so glad you reached out! We have passed your information along to our shop services team for help with next steps and anticipate you will hear from them shortly.

In addition, you could also reach out to the Reading bike shop as they have begun offering zero-contact bike services.

Hopefully we'll have you reconnected with your bike soon!

Highlighted

I am so happy to hear this. Thank you so much for all of your help! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Why is REI ignoring the latest CDC, state of Washington and Seattle-King County guidance, which clearly states that masks or face coverings can help prevent the spread of COVID-19? And why aren't you being candid in your messaging on this -- that masks will be optional in REI stores? At age 68, I won't set foot in a business that is mask-optional, but I wouldn't know that's the case from reading the post above. About a third of the people my age who contract COVID-19 die.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@randybeam Thank you for reaching out with your concerns.

Your question is a good one, and one that we didn’t take lightly. We believe our protocols are the best balance between employee and customer safety and aligning with federal and local guidelines, which vary by region. All employees will wear face coverings and face shields will be available for those who request them. We encourage you to read through our health and safety standards here.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@randybeam we wanted to circle back and let you know that starting June 19, we will require face coverings for all customers in our stores.

0 Likes
Highlighted

If you are going to announce that stores will be opening there needs to be a schedule of the openings released also.  Right now there is very little information available which is just frustrating, not helpful.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@LW3 we appreciate you reaching out with this frustration and we'd love a little clarification on what's missing and would be helpful. Do you wish we would share a schedule of what upcoming service will be offered in the future? Or is it unclear what services are currently being offered in specific locations?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi.

How 'bout shopping by appointment to minimize/prevent in store crowding?  Members could sign up on line for a time slot to look or try new things/clothes. Clothes changing booths could have uv lights (smaller, discrete area) to sanitize between customers. Similarly, how about a similar way of sanitizing clothing.

My granddaughter's school are talking about how many kids can social distance in the space of a class room (approximately 12) and then arrange the school schedule around groups of 12 come to class, class cleaned, next group of 12 come in. 

Similarly safe groups like families could sign up for safe group shopping.

All the best to you and my beloved REI. I long for the day when the back country reopens and I can safely wander and not worry about the safety of those who support the frontcountry/backcountry.

-mori    (I was a member earlier but my precomputer membership has been lost in the mists of time..........)

0 Likes
Featured