Highlighted

Re: Eric Artz: Reopening Our Stores

Open up curbside returns. I've ordered some things that don't fit, and it doesn't make sense that I have to pay my credit card bill for stuff waiting to be returned. 

Highlighted

Hi. 

Hope you and all of your employees (including the nice people that monitor the conversations) are doing well.

Please re-open the stores! 

Suggested process:

1. Do like several grocery stores I've seen do, allow a certain number of customers in at a time

2. Allow people to make an appointment to come in

So many stores are now open or opening soon.  And, I strongly suggest you NOT treat every store like the stores in the more highly impacted areas (that have more cases).  For example: The Wichita, Ks store should not be treated like a store near/in New York City (if such exists).

I'm sure you know all of this, but wanted to share my thoughts.

I want REI to remain a viable business for their members, customers, and especially the nice employees.  I strongly urge you to open your stores.  It is time we move on...

Thanks, and God Bless...

PoppaHiker
Highlighted

@KenBrenner thanks so much for these suggestions, support and encouragement! We are working hard on our store reopening plans and anticipate having news to share soon. As we did with our curbside roll-out, we will avoid providing location-specific details ahead of time because last minute changes are possible and would likely cause significant frustration for affected customers. So, more to come and stay tuned!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

My store in Colorado is only available for curbisde pickup currently.  I have a merchandise credit that I was told could not be used online and that I could only use it in the store.  Will REI allow me to use it for online purchases and pickup at my store?  Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello there @SY!

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Community!

Both gift cards and merchandise credits are eligible for use online, so you should not encounter a problem using it. However, if you do, I’d recommend you reach out to our Sales and Customer Service team for additional help. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

My favorite outdoor store, Mast General store, is now open for business at all 9 locations including the one right in my home town. They announced their opening dates 2 weeks prior to opening. I plan on heading out tomorrow to show them my support by dropping a pretty penny.

That being said. Do the folks at REI plan on making any kind of announcement to the community about their plans to open stores? The response: "we avoid providing specific details ahead of time because change would likely cause significant frustration for affected customers." is unacceptable and a disservice to all co-op members! Not giving your paying co-op members crucial details about the company because you're afraid it will cause "significant frustration" is a weak cop-out which is significantly hurting your business and the business interests of all co-op members alike! The frustration caused by the total lack of any insight from REI far outweighs the frustration any last minute changes would cause.

REI has not only lost a significant amount of business from dragging on these closures, but they also lost the prospects of any future business from members like myself who will gladly take their money to local cottage outdoor stores instead.

I feel it is safe to assume REI will give at least 2 weeks notice before announcing store openings. That being said I feel we are 2+ weeks minimum before seeing any stores open. Which leads me back to my question. Do the folks at REI plan on making any kind of announcement to the community about their plans to open stores?

Highlighted

@dylan3492 thanks for the question! While we do not plan to broadly announce store re-openings, we understand your feedback and appreciate the desire to have our stores reopen. We are eager for this next phase as well!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Based on the all-knowing Wikipedia " A consumers' co-operative is an enterprise owned by consumers and managed democratically which aims at fulfilling the needs and aspirations of their members. "I think it's time for Mr. Artz to either remove co-op from the name, or remove himself. If a person is afraid to go out - no one is forcing them to go into an REI store. BUT - for those of us (probably a large majority at this point) who are not afraid and know how to act responsibly - we are being forced to stay out of OUR stores.

Highlighted

It would be ideal if we could saunter into our local REI store as we have done in the past, but the situation is different now, and adaptability is important now to avoid increasing the toll of the pandemic.  Thoughtful actions are required of all of us in all kinds of ways.

REI patrons are fortunate because the entire inventory is available on line.  My last order arrived four days before its predicted delivery date..  The current situation reminds me of the early days when I was working in a desert location in Arizona (I was a desert rat myself, then) and mail order, much slower then, was the only option.

Yes, one cannot try on clothing and foot gear for proper size, or fondle the merchandise, but life is tough and full of obstacles.

Speaking of democracies, did you vote for the Board of Directors in the recent election?  If you did not (like most of us I suspect) you have no cause for complaint.  REI may not be perfect, but it has many positive aspects and values.  There is a reason it has grown and prospered for 82 years.  Competent leadership is one main factor.  that and nice snacks available at the checkout counter - I miss those!

Highlighted

Cliches "situation different now" unprecedented times" etc. The situation changes every moment of life - that is how it has always been - that's not different. That's why we buy survival gear from REI. Facts, figures, and perspective: In 2018 over 1000 auto fatalities in AZ. REI did not shut down it's stores, close off and dig up it's parking lots and forbid it's employees and customers driving to the store in order to "save their lives". Yet far, far fewer deaths and the panic bandwagon is off and running. I'm asking for some perspective. Your life is at greater risk driving to the store than shopping in it. I'm asking for our choices to be given back. If you don't want to go out then don't. I'll respect that. Buy online. But you've taken away my choices, and I just don't think that's right.

Featured