Concern with REI's 4th of July advertisement

I was disappointed in the message conveyed by REI’s 4th of July sale. 3 people on a dock. 2 are active and one is passive. The active ones are males and the passive one, documenting the exploits of her men, is female. Very disappointed in REI.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Concern with REI's 4th of July advertisement

@Zelda thanks so much for passing this feedback our way; we have shared it internally for review. We certainly try to strike the right balance in the images we use for our events and appreciate hearing from our members and customers when our choices don't resonate. In contrast to the image on the dock, our landing page currently shows 2 active women!

REI-JenK_0-1593186283919.png

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Zelda .  I'm not an employee of REI, but I am a member of the Co-op, and have been for several years.  I mean no disrespect, but am genuinely curious as to what you find disappointing about this particular scene? Throughout every paper sale flyer, every article in the online Co-op Journal,  every issue of Uncommon Path, every landing page of the website, REI has represented nearly every category of people that I can think of.  People of every gender, race, ethnicity, age, fitness level, etc. They are probably one of the most realistic and even-handed companies that I have ever come across in their inclusiveness.  But they can't put every walk of life into every single image. 

I certainly don't feel disappointed when they depict 20-somethings and not 50-somethings like myself.  I have no disappointment when a group of women are depicted in an outdoor activity, and not men.  The world is full of a variety of combinations of people; men, women, LGBTQ, black, brown, white, tall, short, thin, overweight...and IMHO, REI represents us all as equally as is possible.

Highlighted

I have to agree with @Rob6 on this.  I've not been a member for very long but do agree that REI tends to go well above and beyond in this category.  As Rob mentioned, it's impossible to put every walk of life into every image.  Why not celebrate that it's an image of 3 people outside, enjoying nature.  Whether you look for the positive or the negative, you'll usually find it.

Highlighted

@Zelda, so should I be disappointed because non of the guys get to operate the camera?  Let's go find the director and ask him/her what's up with the decision on who cannon-balls and who operates the camera!

Now we get to look for political correctness on sales bulletins?  I don't think I'll bother, thank you very much.

I showed it to my wife, she didn't see any issues either.

But as for me, I'll be delighted to jump into the water!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Featured