Highlighted

Compression Sack for Sleeping Bag

I've got a pair of Slumberjack sleeping bags that have been fine for the car camping my wife and I do.  We are going on a 6 day canoe trip later this month.  Our bags are good for the temp range on the trip.  However, they are bulky.  If we use the stuff sacks we have for the bags, it will take up a goodly amount of space in our gear dry bag.  I'm thinking a compression stuff sack will help with this problem but am unsure of what size to get.  Any suggestions?

Highlighted

Re: Compression Sack for Sleeping Bag

Hi @sgrabenstein, I'm not familiar with that bag; what temperature rating is it?  And do you know if it's down or synthetic? Colder bags have more filling and synthetic bags are bulkier, so if your bags are either, you will need a larger compression bag. What will probably be easier, without going into a store, would be to measure the stuff sack that came with the bag and then get a similar-sized compression sack. You can see dimensions of the compression sacks we carry online. You might want to consider getting a compression drysack since you are going on a canoe trip, to try to keep your bag dry! Have a great time! 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Compression Sack for Sleeping Bag

@sgrabenstein Thanks for reaching out, it sounds like a great trip you have coming up!

I will echo what @REI-LeslieN said about gauging the correct size for your compression sack: starting with the size of the stuff sack the sleeping bag came with. However, if your sleeping bags are, for example, synthetic and rectangular in shape, it could be very challenging to cut down on that bulk, even with a compression sack. 

Most of the compression sacks we carry come in multiple sizes with the larger end of the spectrum being 20 Liters in volume with a couple at 30 Liters. For comparison, a daypack is typically between 18-25 liters in volume. If you think you'd be able to stuff your sleeping bag inside a daypack then you'd probably be okay. I also recommend sizing up on the compression sack if you're unsure between two sizes; you can always fill space with extra layers or other compressible items.

I would also recommend considering renting sleeping bags for your upcoming trip. It is a great way to get the gear you need without having to invest in a new sleeping bag right away. You can look at your local REI and see what equipment they have available to rent.

I hope this helps, have a great trip!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Featured