Highlighted

Can I skip the bike assembly for a bike delivered to store?

Hi,

I just received an email notice that my bike, which will be delivered to my local store, will not be assembled for up to a week after the initial delivery date.

I'm actually just fine picking up the bike in a box and assembling it myself. 

What's the best way to bypass that assembly process?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can I skip the bike assembly for a bike delivered to store?

@AbeM Thanks for reaching out with your question.

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Once a bike is shipped to one of our stores, we are required to build it before our customers pick it up. Our bike techs in our stores are working hard to get through the large numbers of bikes that have been ordered recently. We apologize that you'll have to wait just a little bit longer to get out and ride. What kind of bike did you order?

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@AbeM Thanks for reaching out with your question.

Unfortunately, the answer is no. Once a bike is shipped to one of our stores, we are required to build it before our customers pick it up. Our bike techs in our stores are working hard to get through the large numbers of bikes that have been ordered recently. We apologize that you'll have to wait just a little bit longer to get out and ride. What kind of bike did you order?

Highlighted

Aww Nuts.

Since I'm tired and feeling silly, I'll answer your straight-forward question with an unnecessary backstory...

Late last year I'd bought a pair of nice, older, healthily depreciated bikes off Craigslist. The one for our middle child was an old Trek mountain bike. It needed some serious maintenance that I shrugged off until too far into the pandemic. I attempted to take all of our bikes to a local bike shop, but found a 3-month backlog on just shop work!

So, being a diy-er of zero acclaim, I ordered a bike repair stand, some tools, and cleared space in the basement.  Her bike wasn't horrible-horrible, but we had fun removing the chain, scrubbing it down, tuning her brakes, and aligning her derailleurs. I was **bleep** proud of the work. Then, 2 days later she's riding back n forth to our local grade school... and on the 2nd trip of the day, she returns home to get some water, goes back outside, and discovers the bike is gone. It wasn't even out front. They flat out walked past our cars, to the far side of our deep driveway, and snagged her bike (that *should* have been in the chain we keep out there). 

"Ugh... all that work... and it'll probably be dropped in a quarry."

Well, once we adjusted to the new reality, I went back to Craigslist and got lucky finding another decent, single-owner, inexpensive Mountain bike (a Schwinn from '11). We haven't done too much with it, but I took her out to a local forested trail riding spot and let her loose solo. (I'd just discovered my '99 Trek 820 has a blown rear hub and I'm a horrible runner.)  Well, hiccups aside, she loves it, and her enthusiasm at watching a video of the Leadville 100 MTB race reignited my desire enough to get my own bike fixed up... but what excited bike owner can bear just replacing the one broken part? "Man, I should really convert to disk brakes..." "Ugh - I'm not sure I can survive without a front suspension..."

lol... after adding all that up to upgrade a 21-year-old, $600 bike... yeah - it wasn't too hard to rationalize the new bike purchase. And now *I'm* ITCHING to get out there, start training for the 2024 Leadville 100, and drop this **bleep** shelter in place weight! It was bad enough I'd waited so long.. then had to wait a week for delivery... and then maybe another week?

Thanks for the answer. That's absolutely fine. I'm healthy, Covid hasn't found me yet, and there are folks really hurting out there. My entitled self is capable of waiting... it's just, I kinda feel like that line Harry told Sally... "When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life [doing something awesome], you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

Oh... so, I ordered a DRT 1.2. 🙂

Highlighted

@AbeM 

I'm sorry you and your daughter had that experience having her bike stolen! Props to you for the repair work too! I'm excited to hear how your training goes and I hope you get some quality time out on the trails with your daughter soon. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and the DRT 1.2 is a rad bike!

Highlighted

Thanks for hanging in there to the end! 🙂

I'm hoping for the same!

Thanks for the support!

0 Likes

Hey John - just wanted to tell you that I picked up my bike yesterday! I was very happy with the service! I don't know if I lucked out and caught them during a lull, or if you helped. In any case, it was very cool to get that email yesterday to pick up the bike. 🙂

Highlighted

@AbeM Thanks for circling back!

I'm so stoked for you that your bike came in! I wish I had that kind of influence, but it seems that the stars aligned for you and your bike. I'll jump in over on your other thread to talk about the size. Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi @AbeM .  I'm not an REI employee, and this may offer you little solace, but, unfortunately, long backlogs regarding bikes seem to be happening everywhere.  My local bike shop is all but sold out of new bikes, is having difficulties getting common repair and replacement supplies and parts, like inner tubes.  And, I contacted them to bring my son's bike in for an overhaul, and had to schedule it for the end of July.  Luckily, I can do most of the service to my son's bike to keep it safe and functional until then.

I guess the overwhelming volume is good for the bike shops, but not so good for us riders.  

Hope you're able to get on the trails soon.

Highlighted

Hi @Rob6!

Yeah, when I walked into our local bike shop a few weeks back I found it empty and overbooked. I totally understand that.

I just figured they're delivering bikes to homes in boxes we have to assemble, so couldn't I just pick up the unassembled bike at the store? I'd actually be helping open a slot & saving someone else a week's wait.

But I think I get what's going on... they HAVE to assemble the bikes to be able to back up their warranties. In fact, I bet the home-delivered bikes are actually partially assembled at an REI warehouse and then shipped. (Hence why the direct ship bikes are est at 3-week wait vs the store delivered ones at 1-week.)

Well - it isn't end of the world. (I think...) And, thinking about that old adage about never buying a car assembled on a Friday... Well, I'd rather a local bike lover assemble the bike than some poor guy attempting to get a 50 done each day in a hot warehouse.

0 Likes
Featured