Highlighted

Bike Trainer Advice: How do I order a new rear wheel for my bike if it is too big for my trainer?

Hi there,

I just bought a Cannondale trail 4. I had some suspicion that it would not fit on my blackburn techmag 6 trainer. I am looking for a trainer wheel, probably 27.5" with a 10 cog cassette, trainer tire and trainer skewer installed. How would I go about having this priced and ordered during the pandemic.

Thanks so much.

Dave Sloan

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: rear bike trainer tire

@dav1dsl0an Thanks for reaching out!

We're going to tag some of our cycling team here so they can get you the information you need: @REI-AliciaG @REI-CassidyT @REI-JacintaH @REI-JebM @REI-JessieD @REI-MeganR @REI-ReinkeM 

Hopefully we'll get that info for you soon!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Bike Trainer Advice: How do I order a new rear wheel for my bike if it is too big for my trainer

@dav1dsl0an thanks for your patience; we're sorry for the delay in a response. Unfortunately our team of bike technicians are very busy answering lots of technical questions from our customers, so to get help from that team, we'd recommend emailing your question directly to them at cyclinghelp@rei.com. During our store closure, obtaining specific bike parts is a little trickier than normal and this team is best suited to help! 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Bike Trainer Advice: How do I order a new rear wheel for my bike if it is too big for my trainer

Hey @dav1dsl0an , the Cannondale trail 4 is a 29er it looks like. All 29er rims have a diameter of 622mm which is the same as a 700c road bike wheel. It may be that the adjustment know on the trainer to decrease tension on the rear wheel doesn't allow a full sized mountain bike tire (outside diameter ~740 mm). If that is maxed out, you should be able to mount a cross tire (something like a 700x35 or 700x38) on your rear wheel and get it on your trainer. That would keep you from having to purchase a smaller rear wheel.   

0 Likes
Featured