Highlighted

Best Winter Coats for Kids

Hi,

I have a 3 & 5 year old boys who are extremely active.  We live in NY and love being outdoors.  Most times they hate wearing jackets because they get so hot.  I want something to keep them warm, but want to be realistic on what’s best for them and something they will want to wear.

0 Likes

Re: Best Winter Coats for Kids

Hi @Arcarak , thank you for the question! In outfitting my own young son for cold-weather outdoor adventures, I have found that he is most likely to wear a lightweight insulated jacket because they are fairly thin and compressible. There are great options in both down and synthetic insulation; with and without a hood. Down has a tendency to be a little warmer while synthetic is a little better at standing up to moisture (there are also dry-down options out there). Adding a warm base-layer and a fleece can increase warmth on those extra cold days. You can check out our selection on the website or in your local store. 

Happy Adventuring!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes

Re: Best Winter Coats for Kids

@Arcarak thanks for asking! In addition to @REI-MichelleW's recommendations, I will chime in for the REI Co-op Timber Mountain jacket; my 6 year old has been wearing this jacket (in different sizes obviously!) for several years and has loved it as an all-around great option - he wears it to school all winter on both cold/dry and cold/wet days, but he also skis and plays in the snow in it. On really cold days, we will an insulated layer underneath (REI Co-op 650) but have found that the Timber Mountain jacket, in and of itself, is pretty ideal throughout the winter. That said, if your kids run pretty warm, you could also consider a 3-in-1 jacket - this allows you to remove the inner liner if they're hot but still have an outer, waterproof shell. Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes