cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
COVID-19 UPDATE. REI stores are temporarily closed. Learn more about orders or returns. Free U.S. standard shipping during this time. Details
Highlighted

Best Sleeping Bag for Hammock Camping

I have a 4 season Hennessey Hammock, and am looking for a cold weather sleeping bag comfortable for use in a hammock... any suggestions?  I currently own the Kelty cosmic 40d bag, but it is a bit tight and a little to thin for the 30d camping.  My wife and I are into backpacking so the bag will need to be compact and light weight.  

0 Likes

Re: Sleeping Bag for Hammock Camping

Hi @plars83 , thank you for your question! Is the Kelty Cosmic 40 that you are using regular or long length? Where is the bag tight? The backpacking bags for 0-30 degrees vary in length as well as their shoulder and hip girth. Determining where you need more room will make all the difference. For example, the REI Magma 30 sleeping bag is warmer and lighter than your current bag and it has an extra inch in the shoulder girth but one less inch in the hip girth. I'd recommend searching for sleeping bags on REI.com and then narrowing your search to backpacking and then comparing your top options - here's a link to get you started! Also, if you live near one of our stores, please come in and try out some different bags to see which option is the most comfortable. I hope this helps. Happy Adventuring!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Sleeping Bag for Hammock Camping

@plars83 

@REI-MichelleW got you started with some good ideas. As a sometimes-in-a-hammock-but-always-looking-for-more-room-in-my-sleeping-bag type sleeper, I've got some recommendations that may help narrow the search:

Big Agnes Lost Dog 15 Sleeping Bag

Nemo Forte 20 Sleeping Bag

Nemo Disco 15 Sleeping Bag

REI Co-op Igneo 17 Sleeping Bag

Big Agnes sleeping bags are some of the widest sleeping bags on the market. They also come with a sleeve that you can slide your sleeping pad into that helps you stay on the pad while you are sleeping. The two Nemo sleeping bags are shaped in a way to give you the ability to move around and flex while you are sleeping. The REI Co-op Igneo sleeping bag comes in a wide width (which I own) that gives you extra room.

All of these sleeping bags are compressible and light enough for backpacking. I hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.