Highlighted

30L vs 40L

I'm trying to decide between the REI Trail Hydro 30L pack or the REI Trail 40L. My hikes are mostly long day hikes but i'm looking to dive into overnight camp hikes. Which one would be better or perhaps I should be looking into something larger or different? Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: 30L vs 40L

@AnthonyJ Thanks for reaching out!

@OldGuyot gave you some great tips and linked to a good conversation to check out for more information.

One thing worth noting: when you are planning on making the move from day hikes to an overnight backpacking trip, take a look at the gear you will be using and base the size of your pack on that, instead of purchasing a pack and attempting to make your gear fit into it. You can certainly fit an overnight backpacking kit into a 35 - 40 liter pack, however, that typically requires some pretty light and small gear that takes several trips to dial in.

That being said, the REI Trail 40 has straps that allow you to add items to the outside of the backpack if you need some extra space so that is a consideration. You can also visit your local REI store and see if they carry rental backpacks as that is a great way to try out an overnight trip and a backpack to see what works best for you without having to fully invest in a pack right away.

Hope this helps, let us know how your first trip goes!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

You might also look at the REI Traverse 35.  It is a large day pack that is hydration bladder compatible for day hikes but usable without that for overnights assuming you have reasonably compact gear.  I recently did a "packing test" of a set of gear I have that you may find interesting...

https://conversations.rei.com/t5/hiking/best-backpack-for-day-trips-overnights-open-to-all-input/m-p...

I do recommend the Trail 40 as a travel pack since it works quite well as a carry on on many airlines.  We have used them for that purpose. 

I am not familiar with the trail 30L hydro but unless you have very compact and light weight gear my guess is that it would not be that great for an overnight.

I'm not an REI Employee.

@AnthonyJ Thanks for reaching out!

@OldGuyot gave you some great tips and linked to a good conversation to check out for more information.

One thing worth noting: when you are planning on making the move from day hikes to an overnight backpacking trip, take a look at the gear you will be using and base the size of your pack on that, instead of purchasing a pack and attempting to make your gear fit into it. You can certainly fit an overnight backpacking kit into a 35 - 40 liter pack, however, that typically requires some pretty light and small gear that takes several trips to dial in.

That being said, the REI Trail 40 has straps that allow you to add items to the outside of the backpack if you need some extra space so that is a consideration. You can also visit your local REI store and see if they carry rental backpacks as that is a great way to try out an overnight trip and a backpack to see what works best for you without having to fully invest in a pack right away.

Hope this helps, let us know how your first trip goes!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Featured